Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
DeluxeFlame

Default Which cards can be played to the table?

My friends and I have been playing once a week some epic games of Munchkin.
Every week we find out something new happening we haven't encountered and we need some help on some things that have been noticed and/or been called as house rules.

*Before posting I looked up the questions and removed quite a lot*

1.) What cards can and cannot be put on the table from your hand?
Main concern is towards monster cards, race and class cards.

2.) Can you put down a race or class on the table sideways so it doesn't override your current active one? Can class/race cards be traded?

3.) Game Scenario - Everyone but me is level 9, this is a close game. Being really good at feeling out the future of events, I sell cards normally and get to level 9 with nothing else in play but cleric and thief with the super munchkin card. I can feel Divine Intervention coming. Next player plays and goes for a winning kill on the monster, No one can stop him but me with my backstab ability. I ended up discarding cleric to backstab, [generalizing that I cannot discard thief to use thief's ability, which later was researched to be true]. I ended up stopping him but next turn divine intervention came and the other cleric won the game, as I jumped out my chair in a burst of energy.

A lot of different rules probably apply to this questions events.

tl;dr/4.): Could I have discarded super munchkin for thief, turn cleric sideways to keep thief active, and then before the door was kicked on the next turn. Turn Cleric active and would I discard or turn thief sideways?
DeluxeFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
tremorlaine

Default Re: Munchkin Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeFlame View Post

1.) What cards can and cannot be put on the table from your hand?
Main concern is towards monster cards, race and class cards.
You can put any Items down in play as long as you are not breaking the Big rule of having only one in Play (unless you are a Dwarf). This includes wearable Items and One-Shot Items. You can have 3 Armors on the table but two of them have to be turned sideways.

You can have one Race and Class down unless you have Half-Breed or Super Munchkin in which case you can have two.

You may not have any Monsters just lounging around in your field of play unless you are currently fighting him.

Quote:
2.) Can you put down a race or class on the table sideways so it doesn't override your current active one? Can class/race cards be traded?
No, you cannot. Only Items may be played on the table sideways and that is to indicate that they are not currently being worn/used.

No Class/Race cards cannot be traded. They can be given as Charity if you have to give Charity and the person you want to have it is the lowest Level.

Quote:
3.) Game Scenario - Everyone but me is level 9, this is a close game. Being really good at feeling out the future of events, I sell cards normally and get to level 9 with nothing else in play but cleric and thief with the super munchkin card. I can feel Divine Intervention coming. Next player plays and goes for a winning kill on the monster, No one can stop him but me with my backstab ability. I ended up discarding cleric to backstab, [generalizing that I cannot discard thief to use thief's ability, which later was researched to be true]. I ended up stopping him but next turn divine intervention came and the other cleric won the game, as I jumped out my chair in a burst of energy.

A lot of different rules probably apply to this questions events.

tl;dr/4.): Could I have discarded super munchkin for thief, turn cleric sideways to keep thief active, and then before the door was kicked on the next turn. Turn Cleric active and would I discard or turn thief sideways?
You could have Discarded Super Munchkin to power the Thief's Backstab ability but when you do you also have to Discard one of the two Races you have. Since you are in the process of using the Thief's ability you cannot Discard it.

Unfortunately you were on the losing end of an sticky situation.

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
DeluxeFlame

Thanks for the quick response, Glad to know I wasn't robbed of a win due to not being resourceful.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Clipper

The only potential way I can see out of that situation would be to try to get the other Cleric to discard his Class before you backstab (threatening to let the other player win the combat otherwise). It stinks a little bit of king-making, but would stop the fear of Divine Intervention ending your game. I do love the concept of all the Level-9 Clerics agreeing to mutually disarm themselves, though...

It's a real pity you had no other cards in your hand to discard instead.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
DeluxeFlame

Are cards like illusion, with the white background considered one shots/items?
that can be put down?

Also could we change the title of this thread to, Which cards allowed on the table?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Clipper

No. Items are cards that have a Gold Piece value or the text "No value" in the bottom-right of the card. Illusion can only be played from the hand.

Only the card types that the rules specify stay on the table and the cards that state themselves that they stay on the table (perhaps by saying when you discard them) will stay on the table. For base Munchkin, this means that only the following ones may stick around:
  • Race cards
  • Class cards
  • Half-Breed and Super Munchkin
  • Cheat!
  • Curse cards with a persistent or future effect
  • Items
  • Specials (non-Item Treasure cards) that provide a permanent combat bonus (e.g., Really Impressive Title and Hireling)

Last edited by Clipper; 04-22-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
You can have 3 Armors on the table but two of them have to be turned sideways.
This implies a limit to the number of Armor Items you can have in play where none exists. You can have any number of small Items (those not marked as Big) on the table, regardless of whether you may use them or not. So, if you're playing with a deck with 20 Armor Items in it, you could have all 20 out in play (assuming only one of them was Big and you have no other Big Items), but could only use 1 and have to turn 19 of them sideways, unless some other special rule is involved, but, then, that's always the case.

Quote:
You may not have any Monsters just lounging around in your field of play unless you are currently fighting him.
This is a little confusing. The Monster(s) you are fighting shouldn't be considered in your field of play.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-23-2013 at 04:55 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
tremorlaine

Default Re: Which cards can be played to the table?

Noted and will tighten up responses in the future.

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstab, munchkin, questions, rules