Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #1871
Anaraxes

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

A unidentified beige ooze bubbles up out of the ground, spreading onto a highway in Detroit. Initial suspicion immediately falls on a nearby refinery (naturally), but the foam isn't a product of that operation. EPA officials have so far been unable to determine the composition of the mystery substance.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...es-authorities

They slimed us. That's great! Actual physical contact!

But with what? Grey goo from the nearby nanite lab? The alien meteorite back in the woods, pulsing green, is affecting the local wildlife (and little Billy)? The underground cultists have tapped the dimensional barrier and are calling forth Things Even Detroit Was Not Meant to Know? Case Zero of a plague that will have the survivors wishing it were something simple, like zombies?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #1872
tanksoldier

The Laundery of the Gods has sprung a leak....
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #1873
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
The Laundery of the Gods has sprung a leak....
Charles Stross was just relaying the simple truth all along.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #1874
Flyndaran
Untagged

I guess this means we must now beware the spin cycle.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #1875
William

Scientists may have found evidence of a lifeform that eats gemstones -- specifically, a bacterium or fungus that can metabolize garnet.

Note that garnet is basically the #2 or #3 gem in hardness, right behind diamond, maybe sapphire depending, so these little buggers are chowing down on some real tooth-cracking energy sources -- and weirdly, they're probably metabolizing the iron (garnet is deep red due to iron content) in some kind of chemosynthetic process.

"Gem rot" was not a problem your mage expected to have, eh? Sorry about the jewel-eating fungus infestation.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #1876
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
"Gem rot" was not a problem your mage expected to have, eh?
New Powerstone quirk -- plague carrier. Any gem that comes within 6' of the Powerstone gets infected, and rots away at a rate of $100 per day. Other Powerstones that come within 6' do not rot, but themselves become carriers.

(Option: other Powerstones themselves rot, making the mage especially unpopular with his peers. Throw in another option to give the gems a HT save, and you can make Powerstones become carriers on a crit fail on their save.)

No one remembers why mages traditionally all take a vow of poverty, owning no more than their horse can carry.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #1877
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
New Powerstone quirk -- plague carrier. Any gem that comes within 6' of the Powerstone gets infected, and rots away at a rate of $100 per day. Other Powerstones that come within 6' do not rot, but themselves become carriers.

(Option: other Powerstones themselves rot, making the mage especially unpopular with his peers. Throw in another option to give the gems a HT save, and you can make Powerstones become carriers on a crit fail on their save.)
Noice. And just think, the original Powerstone enchanter probably had dozens of the things on the racks in his workspace...

Tracking down Patient Zero in a gem plague like this sounds like a job for a fantasy version of the CDC or the WHO.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #1878
Flyndaran
Untagged

This looks like a job for the non-magical expert of magical dangers. The mundane detective.
I've always wanted ideas for how a non-mage could help mages.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #1879
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
or the WHO.
Magus Jaeger, I’m Roger Daltrey. I’m here to inspect your Stones....
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #1880
Flyndaran
Untagged

Rolling PowerStones gather no bacteria.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox