Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Pluribus

Default Building a cloud city

Building a cloud city seems deceptively simple. My group is thinking about making basically "cloud tree fort" for now.

It seems simple enough to enchant an object to create and maintain a cloud. Take the cloud spell and put it on a rod or something.

My main question is. Once you have a permanent cloud created by the rod could you then enchant the cloud itself (treating the cloud as an object) with the "walk on clouds" spells to allow people to walk on it. Or would we be stuck enchanting all of our foundations and paving stones with the spell?
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
teviet

Default Re: Building a cloud city

I think you'd be looking at a custom spell/enchantment based on Cloud-Walking (and maybe Alter Terrain?). Per the rules as written, a Cloud-Walking enchantment creates an item that allows you to cast Cloud-Walking, not an "always on" item that can sit on top of clouds.

TeV
teviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Pluribus

Good point. I had forgotten that aspect of enchantment. Though doing some research it seems that "Cloud Walking" may still work if you also use the "power" enchantment.

"Power" reduces casting cost or maintenance costs of an enchanted spell. If maintenance is zero it's always on as long as the user is awake. If casting is zero it's just plain always on. Power will handle 1 Ep for 500 points, and double every Ep thereafter. Basically: point cost= 500*2^(casting cost-1)

Since "Cloud Walking" is 3 to cast that adds on a 2,000 point enchantment on top of the initial 500 points. 2,500 points.

We would also need one on the cloud itself. Since maintaining the cloud means the spell having "always on" status. Cloud creating is 1/20th ep per meter radius. So a tree fort size should be fine, but a decent city would still be a massive undertaking. Possibly with a network of cloud generators.

So it looks like making the cloud city will indeed be a grand feat requiring many mages, but at least our cloud tree fort should be doable. Since a 20 meter radius permanent cloud generator would cost 800 points.

But I still don't know if there's an authoritative answer about casting "cloud walking" on a cloud.

Last edited by Pluribus; 01-10-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluribus View Post
But I still don't know if there's an authoritative answer about casting "cloud walking" on a cloud.
Is walking outside on the cloud important? If not, just build a solid floor on top of the foundation.

If walking outside your building on the cloud is important, then consider enchanting a "stepping stone" or something with Walk On Clouds with a Link that casts the enchantment when someone steps on it. It could have enough Power to maintain the spell for free and a dedicated powerstone for the casting cost. Safety training for the inhabitants would involve activating the stepping stone, but only when the "mana meter" reads "green" (powerstone has enough charge...).
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
teviet

Again, per the rules, an "always on" item is only "on" when worn or carried in the "usual manner". So you can create a bunch of "always on" cloud-walking snowshoes (at 2500 energy per pair), but if you try to use them as the floor of your cloud-house, they'll fall as soon as you step out of them.

So let's get a little creative. Golems ought to be able to use always-on items, right? You could put flaming armour on a golem, or have it use a flaming sword. So enchant a few wood-golems and have them wear always-on cloud-walking shoes. Build your house on top of the golems.

This is not an authoritative answer, just a hare-brained scheme. It's rules-compliant as far as I can tell.

TeV

Last edited by teviet; 01-10-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Left of energy cost of Cloud-Walking itself
Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluribus View Post
Building a cloud city seems deceptively simple. My group is thinking about making basically "cloud tree fort" for now.
You can use an upward-facing Gate as a support for an object too large to fit; a Clouds spell to make the cloud around the Gate-supported structure is comparatively cheap. If the Gate is two-way, it can provide secure supply and escape routes.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Pluribus

I don't think a permanent city sized gate would be very cost effective...

Heck, if you're going to do that just put the second gate above it. Make a city of perpetual free fall!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
fschiff

Could you try to build a cloud city with the Spaceships book about magic and paranormal craft?

Or, maybe its just art that keeps the things hanging up there.
fschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
teviet

Quoting myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teviet View Post
So let's get a little creative. Golems ought to be able to use always-on items, right? You could put flaming armour on a golem, or have it use a flaming sword. So enchant a few wood-golems and have them wear always-on cloud-walking shoes. Build your house on top of the golems.
Ooh! I just remembered the Golem template has Doesn't Sleep, so knock another 1000 energy off the cost of the Cloud-Walking enchantment! Also, if you can customize the golem templates, buff up their lifting ST as much as can reasonably be justified without increasing their SM (which will kill you in energy costs). Stone Golems may be better.

TeV
Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
You can use an upward-facing Gate as a support for an object too large to fit; a Clouds spell to make the cloud around the Gate-supported structure is comparatively cheap. If the Gate is two-way, it can provide secure supply and escape routes.
I think I see what you're doing. Gates remain stationary in relationship to geography, correct? So create some horizontal gates a certian distance above the ground. They will never drop in altitude, no matter how much weight they support. Then put foundation stones too large to pass through on top of them (because gates are impenetrable to object to big to pass through?). Place as many as needed to support the structure. Clouds spell is just for cosmetics. Of course, if you want your cloud city to move, this solution is problematic.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote