Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Onkl

Default [RPM] Beholder and Mana Damper

For an upcoming sword and sorcery game I want to create a Beholder or Tyrant Eye type monster from D&D.

One of its many weapons is the central eye which denies casters the use of magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrous Compendium, AD&D 2nd
All magic within the area ceases to function as long as it remains in the area. Spells cast from within the area or passing through it automatically fail.
This anti-magic area is a 90° arc up to 140 yards coming from the central eye.

I guess the advantage it would have to get this effect is Mana Damper with an Enhancement; my problems starts afterwards: How does it affect an RPM user? In the Basic Set it just says that it lowers the mana in the region by one step, and I don't think I read about "mana levels" in MH... well, there's Sanctity... but I don't know how this interacts with mana levels.

What have you done in your campaigns when the practical side differing mana levels with RPM has come up?

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [RPM] Beholder and Mana Damper

If you don't care about the total point value, buy Static (Magic) with Area Effect.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
For an upcoming sword and sorcery game I want to create a Beholder or Tyrant Eye type monster from D&D.

One of its many weapons is the central eye which denies casters the use of magic.

This anti-magic area is a 90° arc up to 140 yards coming from the central eye.

I guess the advantage it would have to get this effect is Mana Damper with an Enhancement; my problems starts afterwards: How does it affect an RPM user? In the Basic Set it just says that it lowers the mana in the region by one step, and I don't think I read about "mana levels" in MH... well, there's Sanctity... but I don't know how this interacts with mana levels.

What have you done in your campaigns when the practical side differing mana levels with RPM has come up?

Cheers

Onkl
RPM has no mana levels, but it will be covered in the upcoming book. For now, see this thread and this post.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Onkl

Very nice, thank you so much!

Onkl
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Onkl

I was a bit too quick to post the last reply. There still is the question of the usage of charms.

As it is, I use some of Langys suggestions in my game, eg. the "pre-casting" rule. Every ritual out of combat and usage of charms is handled with the quick-and-dirty charm rules from MH. As suggested by Langy, one rolls for the charms when he uses them.

So I guess it makes some kind of sense that charms do have the same penalties when gazed upon by the main eye of the beholder as someone who is just then working his ritual...

Cheers

Onkl
Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
I was a bit too quick to post the last reply. There still is the question of the usage of charms.

As it is, I use some of Langys suggestions in my game, eg. the "pre-casting" rule. Every ritual out of combat and usage of charms is handled with the quick-and-dirty charm rules from MH. As suggested by Langy, one rolls for the charms when he uses them.

So I guess it makes some kind of sense that charms do have the same penalties when gazed upon by the main eye of the beholder as someone who is just then working his ritual...

Cheers

Onkl
When you use a charm its as if you are casting the spell on the spot so I don't see a problem with giving the penalty.

That said, I'd really use Static (Magic) for the Anti-Magic ray. Mana Damper makes things hard - Static (Magic) makes things impossible and that captures the beholder's ability more IMHO.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Lamech

Technically I think it would be "Static (magic), Cosmic+50% (tax for affecting RPM magic", cone and range+x%.

That said, if you don't need the point value having an antimagic cone is perfectly viable. That said, GURPS philosophy would probably be to allow a resistance roll or similar if it actually dispels the magic, not simply suppresses it.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Technically I think it would be "Static (magic), Cosmic+50% (tax for affecting RPM magic", cone and range+x%.

That said, if its a monster it can do it.
I've never used Static (Cosmic, RPM) before in my games featuring multiple types of magic and it worked out just fine. That's just adding extra points for nothing IMHO. YMMV of course.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Not sure why you'd need Cosmic. It's not obvious that RPM is a wild ability.

Tags
beholder, mana damper, monster, rpm