Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Monster Classes and Subclasses

Does anyone have any working/workable/decent/reasonable subclass systems for monsters? For example: Mundane is pretty broad so you could divide it into Dragon, Humanoid, etc. It would be similar to the way that Animal is technically divided into Vermin, Fish, Reptile, Bird, Mammal for spells.

Yes, it is very D&D-esque, but I feel like someone must have done something nice like this. I plan on making my own up or tweaking someone else's, but it's always nice to have a starting point or a reference. What works in one RPG may not work in another!

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Quick Question: Monster Classes and Subclasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Does anyone have any working/workable/decent/reasonable subclass systems for monsters? For example: Mundane is pretty broad so you could divide it into Dragon, Humanoid, etc. It would be similar to the way that Animal is technically divided into Vermin, Fish, Reptile, Bird, Mammal for spells.

Yes, it is very D&D-esque, but I feel like someone must have done something nice like this. I plan on making my own up or tweaking someone else's, but it's always nice to have a starting point or a reference. What works in one RPG may not work in another!

Thanks!
DF has a pretty good one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1
Class: Animal (Giant if huge, Dire if mutant; all are affected by Animal Handling and Animal spells), Construct
(entirely incorruptible), Demon (evil, and subject to the
Banish spell), Divine Servitor (treat as demons, but not necessarily
evil), Elder Thing (insane, and not vulnerable to
Banish), Elemental (affected by Banish and Control Elemental),
Faerie, Hybrid (as Animal, but requires a special
subset of Animal spells), Mundane (has vital areas), Plant
(affected by Plant spells), Slime (diffuse, and immune to
most Animal and Plant spells), or Undead (can be turned
with True Faith).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
DF has a pretty good one:
Aha! I was going with the one from DF2. I even have that little PDF. I can't believe that I didn't think of it!

Speaking of Dungeon Fantasy Monsters... It has a 1 in the title... So where are the others? And I don't mean that literally. I'm aware that there aren't others yet, but I'd be surprised if people didn't want another.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Aha! I was going with the one from DF2. I even have that little PDF. I can't believe that I didn't think of it!

Speaking of Dungeon Fantasy Monsters... It has a 1 in the title... So where are the others? And I don't mean that literally. I'm aware that there aren't others yet, but I'd be surprised if people didn't want another.
Short answer: They do. Pipeline is clogged. Big Damn Ogre is in the way. When it gets unclogged they I'm hoping for at lest one or two releases a month. There is a lot of stuff to be released.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Short answer: They do. Pipeline is clogged. Big Damn Ogre is in the way. When it gets unclogged they I'm hoping for at lest one or two releases a month. There is a lot of stuff to be released.
Would you care so much as to define clogged? You just say "when" like it is a definite thing with a definite time to it. I knew that it had something to do with Ogre, but I can't say that I looked into it. And pardon my ignorance, but why does it matter that Ogre is "in the way"?

After reading through DF:M1... I'm afraid that there is still one thing missing. What is a dragon? I guess it just bugs me especially that dragons don't have anything special going for them... They don't even have to be their own category, but... I dunno. It would make it easier on Dragonslayers for enchantments and Higher Purpose and whatnot!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Langy

Quote:
Would you care so much as to define clogged? You just say "when" like it is a definite thing with a definite time to it. I knew that it had something to do with Ogre, but I can't say that I looked into it. And pardon my ignorance, but why does it matter that Ogre is "in the way"?
The 'when' we were given was fall of last year; since then, the schedule has obviously slipped, but we haven't been given any GURPS-centric updates on that. However, sine Ogre is supposed to be released in a few months, that puts a definite upper limit on how long Ogre can get in the way.

That said, there may be other things getting in the way after that - the eventual Car Wars kickstarter, perhaps, though I hear that they don't intend to let it get in the way of SJG's other lines the way Ogre did. We won't really know when the tubes come unclogged until releases start flowing.

Quote:
After reading through DF:M1... I'm afraid that there is still one thing missing. What is a dragon? I guess it just bugs me especially that dragons don't have anything special going for them... They don't even have to be their own category, but... I dunno. It would make it easier on Dragonslayers for enchantments and Higher Purpose and whatnot!
A Dragon would probably be a Dire Animal from that listing, I suppose, but honestly they could be a category all on their own (along with dragonkin, like wyrms and drakes and kobolds).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

I'd classify dragons as dragons personally. But I think they are Dire Animals.

Clogged? Basically the folks who do the final "GURPS" prep work for books are retasked to doing "Ogre" things. Ogre's almost done so soon we will get new books (hopefully). :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
The 'when' we were given was fall of last year; since then, the schedule has obviously slipped, but we haven't been given any GURPS-centric updates on that. However, sine Ogre is supposed to be released in a few months, that puts a definite upper limit on how long Ogre can get in the way.

That said, there may be other things getting in the way after that - the eventual Car Wars kickstarter, perhaps, though I hear that they don't intend to let it get in the way of SJG's other lines the way Ogre did. We won't really know when the tubes come unclogged until releases start flowing.

A Dragon would probably be a Dire Animal from that listing, I suppose, but honestly they could be a category all on their own (along with dragonkin, like wyrms and drakes and kobolds).
Hello clone. >_>

Become a Patron!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

You guys both rock! And I think I might just have to make a separate category for the giant fire-breathing lizards! Or acid-breathing... Lightning-breathing... Ya know how it goes. I think it will be smoother for me in the long run! Thanks for the advice!

Now I'm excited for Ogre! Simply because the sooner Ogre gets here, the sooner GURPS gets here!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Refplace

Well there is at least one DF book by Kromm in the pipleine.
Dont know what it is about but there is a lot of other stuff out there as well. I hope ot se a couple months of heavy releases soon.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class, d&d, dungeon fantasy, monster, subclass