Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #101
RyanW

Default Re: Dropping a small Wild West town into a Dungeon Fantasy setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
The most common longarms will probably be the Springfield M1858 (HT pp. 108-9 as part of the Enfield P/1853) or war-surplus Spencer M1860s (HT p. 109)
I seem to recall hearing that soldiers discharged at the end of the Civil War had the option of taking their rifle in lieu of their final pay.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I could just as easily be remembering something about Roman legionnaires.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #102
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I seem to recall hearing that soldiers discharged at the end of the Civil War had the option of taking their rifle in lieu of their final pay.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I could just as easily be remembering something about Roman legionnaires.
Very technically that wasn't the case, but since the issued guns were mostly sold at cheap rates as surplus immediately after being collected any soldier that wanted one could buy it cheap from their mustering-out pay.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #103
Michael Thayne

Quote:
The most common longarms will probably be the Springfield M1858 (HT pp. 108-9 as part of the Enfield P/1853) or war-surplus Spencer M1860s (HT p. 109)
I've heard this before, and have suspected use of decade-plus old guns might have been at a low point immediately after the Civil War, due to all the cheap military surplus floating around. So maybe I should just ignore those older weapons I mentioned in my previous post? But people keep bringing up that guns are expensive and can last a long time so I wondered about it.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #104
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I've heard this before, and have suspected use of decade-plus old guns might have been at a low point immediately after the Civil War, due to all the cheap military surplus floating around. So maybe I should just ignore those older weapons I mentioned in my previous post? But people keep bringing up that guns are expensive and can last a long time so I wondered about it.
There's a good chance that a fair number of the older guns would still be around in sheds etc. but according to sources I've found, war surplus Springfield muskets could be had for as little as $5 in the 1870, and one source quotes a retail price as low as $0.69 in the years immediately following the war. That's not very expensive at all for a cowhand who gets around $30 a month plus board.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #105
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Very technically that wasn't the case, but since the issued guns were mostly sold at cheap rates as surplus immediately after being collected any soldier that wanted one could buy it cheap from their mustering-out pay.
From some of my books apparently the price was $6.00 for a used Springfield/Enfield, bayonet and cartridge box. Apparently the USG wanted armed folks to head for the frontier. I suspect that lots of veterans had no interest in bringing back the old shootin' iron -- too many painful memories attached.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote