Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
theshadow99

Default Re: Running Covert Ops Games in 4e

Personally I think Gun Fu using the non-cinematic components (much like what is done in martial arts) works fairly nicely in a action setting. Which is why I guess I just don't get the hate for Gun Fu...

On the other hand... Tactical Shooting isn't even out yet (or it's somehow not listed), which would make it extremely hard to use...

Personally I like adding a bit of cinematics to my mostly realistic games... much like movies it gives my players a feeling they are actually heroic, rather than 'the average guy'. The 'average guy' often dies pretty easy if things ever get down to a fire fight after all.

Anyways as to the original topic... What about GURPS Mystery? I'm sure anything based on 'Body of Lies' or 'Miami Vice' could use a touch from that title...
theshadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow99 View Post
Personally I think Gun Fu using the non-cinematic components (much like what is done in martial arts) works fairly nicely in a action setting. Which is why I guess I just don't get the hate for Gun Fu...
It's designed, as far as I can tell, to be a one-book resource for games with wildly unrealistic firearms use. Most of the stuff that's new in it is wildly unrealistic, therefore...

Quote:
On the other hand... Tactical Shooting isn't even out yet (or it's somehow not listed), which would make it extremely hard to use...
You haven't missed anything. http://tekeli.li/gurps/rumours.html tracks the published rumours of various products.

Quote:
Personally I like adding a bit of cinematics to my mostly realistic games... much like movies it gives my players a feeling they are actually heroic, rather than 'the average guy'. The 'average guy' often dies pretty easy if things ever get down to a fire fight after all.
There's nothing wrong with having a cinematic game! Just don't mistake it for reality...
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
There's nothing wrong with <snip> a <snip> game! Just don't mistake it for reality...
Fixed it for you...

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
macphersonrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow99 View Post
No hate for Gun Fu here. I love it and I've used it in several games. It's just not designed to do what I'm trying to accomplish in a certain sort of game. I'm sure that's exactly the reason Hans has written Tactical Shooting. Soon we'll have all of our bases covered.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Fixed it for you...
You are perpetuating the extremely harmful myth that all roleplaying gaming campaigns are equally realistic!
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Also, feel free to rip off ideas from my campaign.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #17
macphersonrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Also, feel free to rip off ideas from my campaign.
Thanks. I've been following it with interest since you started posting on it.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
You are perpetuating the extremely harmful myth that all roleplaying gaming campaigns are equally realistic!
No. I am correcting the idea that any roleplaying game can be substantially realistic. Quasi-realistic, perhaps, but the presence of a human GM making arbitrary judgment calls means that "realism" will reflect that GM's biases and shortcomings.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, covert ops, modern, realistic