Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #18
Rupert

Default Re: What Do You Want In A Dungeon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I think a evocative description, written with the most noticeable stuff first1], is important and useful. I can also see where folks want to do their own thing, but if I'm writing something for folks to buy, I guess I see it as my job to bring as much color to the board as possible.

[1] The walls have tapestries on them filled with scenes of battle, and an overturned stool in front of a broken table seems to be made of alternating woods, maple and oak. Oh, and there's a minotaur named Bruno trying to impale you with her horns.
I've found that "most noticeable stuff first, but things the Players will want to react instantly too need to be after things their character will notice regardless" works best. Yous example is right on, with Bruno being mentioned after the dressing. If Bruno was mentioned first, the players would jump right into combat mode, and then complain that you didn't mention the well that they just fell down.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote