Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
macphersonrants

Default Running Covert Ops Games in 4e

I love movies like Ronin, Man on Fire, Miami Vice, Body of Lies, Shooter, Heat, Spartan, and the like, which I would say are characterized by cinematic action grounded by a certain amount of realism.

How would you go about running this sort of thing in 4e?

1. Are the templates in Action overpowered for the level of realism you see in these films in your view?

2. How about rules in Action 2?

3. Are there certain things you would borrow from Action and others that would be less appropriate? For example, are there advantages used in action that are too cinematic for the level of realism I'm trying to get at?

4. What other 4e material would you find particularly useful for this sort of game.

5. What point levels would you suggest for the typical character in this sort of film?

In short, if you were going to put together a write up for a modern day game where you wanted a high level of action, but wanted to maintain at least a facade of realism- what parameters would you set?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Juca

Default Re: Running Covert Ops Games in 4e

Well, I think that the templates in Action are about right for the level of "movie realism" that you seens to want. In these movies, more often than not, the "good guys" are outnumbered by the "bad guys" and they need everyone of these 250 characters points to be able to survive.
About the rules on Action 2, I never used then, but they seen to be fine.
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
thedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersonrants View Post
I love movies like Ronin, Man on Fire, Miami Vice, Body of Lies, Shooter, Heat, Spartan, and the like, which I would say are characterized by cinematic action grounded by a certain amount of realism.

1. Are the templates in Action overpowered for the level of realism you see in these films in your view?

3. Are there certain things you would borrow from Action and others that would be less appropriate? For example, are there advantages used in action that are too cinematic for the level of realism I'm trying to get at?

4. What other 4e material would you find particularly useful for this sort of game.

5. What point levels would you suggest for the typical character in this sort of film?

In short, if you were going to put together a write up for a modern day game where you wanted a high level of action, but wanted to maintain at least a facade of realism- what parameters would you set?
I don't own & haven't read any of the Action books, so I cannot address items 1, 2 & 3.

4. I'd say for 4e material, High Tech would be an absolute must. Going outside the 4e box a bit though, there are 3e books which address exactly the kind of game you're talking about. Specifically, and if memory serves (which for me sadly it often doesn't), I think the 3e books Special Ops, Covert Ops, and Espionage would be excellent for you. The major downside would be the conversion from 3e to 4e, which would be time consuming. However, GURPS Update addresses just that, and I believe is free for download on e23.

5. I'd say between 200 - 300 CP is the point range you'd be looking at. Although you want some realism, these characters also have to be capable of some Hollywood Blockbuster-type action. I think if you go below 200 CP, all of that Blockbuster action is going to leave the PC's getting scraped off the bottom of someone's shoe.

I hope any (or at least some) of this helps!
thedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
macphersonrants

Cops, SWAT, and Special Ops would cover elements of the genre as well.

I'm plenty familiar with the material that's out there. What I'm wondering is what parts of the toolbox people would use. Without modification, do you tend to think Action will work as well with Tactical Shooting as it does with Gun Fu?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
HANS

Quote:
do you tend to think Action will work as well with Tactical Shooting as it does with Gun Fu?
You can roll Action with either Gun Fu or Tactical Shooting and have a grand time of it.

HEAT or RONIN would be best served by Tactical Shooting, while SHOOTER has both Tactical Shooting and Gun Fu elements.

Tactical Shooting allows you to model gunfights that feel realistic -- to have people use the sights, carry reloads, do Mozambique drills, apply reasonable tactics, etc., etc.

This is what those films model, as well, at least to a large degree; many of the actors in those films got *real* firearm instruction in order to portray characters that at least look believable while shooting.

Most of these films still aren't entirely realistic, though -- which makes Action a primary source to cover them. You can crank the realism level up or down depending on how you want it.

Cheers

HANS
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
macphersonrants

Thanks for the info HANS. This isn't the first time I've said how excited I am about Tactical Shooting. I can't think of anything that's more down my alley.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the info HANS. This isn't the first time I've said how excited I am about Tactical Shooting. I can't think of anything that's more down my alley.
I'd probably prefer "GURPS Capers" with, as the title implies, less of a focus on physical violence.

Still, "Tactical Shooting" sounds nice and sober after something like "GURPS Gun Fu".
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
CrimsonDawn

Quote:

I'd definitely go with Action, and add Gun Fu to the mix.
CrimsonDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
macphersonrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDawn View Post
I'd definitely go with Action, and add Gun Fu to the mix.
I like Gun Fu, but in some ways it's the antithesis of what I am shooting for. If I wanted to do something very Chow-Yun Fat like The Killer I would jump all over Gun Fu and that would be brilliant. It's just not what I'm trying to work toward here.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
HANS

Quote:

Tactical Shooting.

Cheers

HANS

Last edited by HANS; 03-28-2010 at 02:29 AM.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, covert ops, modern, realistic