Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #631
DSumner

Default Re: 6e Car Wars, what do you want to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker8 View Post
Boy, I read through the whole thread and it's more than obvious there's no way anyone will be 100% happy but most of us will be able to accept some compromises.
I agree that no one is going to be 100% happy, that's not a realistic goal. I just want a solid game, that cleans up some material from past editions, plays well, and gives me some options for my vehicles. If that can be achieved, we can argue about the rest later.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #632
LokRobster

I see myself as being 100% happy with whatever happens...

"You've gotta make your own fun, Space Ghost!"
-Bobcat Goldthwait, August 8, 1997
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #633
striker8

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
I like some of your other ideas but don't think there should be 3 different game levels. I recall Deluxe CW had those 'Quickstart Rules' but I doubt too many people used them. Definitely not a fan of 10 phase movement - that wasn't advanced, that was just SLOW. I don't think CW was that complicated anyway. Personally I'm for getting rid of phased movement altogether because it is just too slow.

As for RP stuff - I don't think you should force GURPS on people. I agree RP is not the main focus of CW but you can definitely have more fun doing an ongoing campaign than just one-off duels imo.

Agree keeping the original scale is probably better.
I don't get why having rules levels is so disliked? It gives people options on how they want to play the game and eases people into playing. It gives a new player a basic starting point to learn the basics, it allows the experienced the ability to tune the game to what they want from it. It means instead of having the pocket box game, which I view as the basic rules level and equipment. And then having to buy the expansions if you want something more from the game you get a game that you can grow into for new players and a game the more experience can go right into the complexity they desire.

I don't get how 10 phases is slow either? What I proposed was having 10 phases as optional. Again that is so people can get what they want from the game. I've played 5 and 10 phase and personaly i don't like the way the abstraction of 5 phases works. If you ditch phases, the game is no longer Car Wars and blends in with a multitude of other vehicle combat games.

There is no forcing of gurps either, I was just pointing out that for much more than dueling type rpg play people don't role play the Car Wars system much so why put much emphasis on it in a renewed Car Wars when SJG's have the ability to do a rpg version if enough want that.
striker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #634
striker8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
I agree that no one is going to be 100% happy, that's not a realistic goal. I just want a solid game, that cleans up some material from past editions, plays well, and gives me some options for my vehicles. If that can be achieved, we can argue about the rest later.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but to get that people have to start being realistic and start compromising on what clean up and changes need to be done so it plays well and gives you the options you want because if it isn't done sooner you loose people before you get to later.
striker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #635
MongolHorde

Having just glanced through the Math in CW thread where the author is talking about where the various spaces for turreted weapons and devices go, I had a thought on turrets.

Rather than having the turret protected by the top armor, the turret is an individually armored component. So if you want a Turreted MG on your vehicle, you armor the turret (and it can now be targeted by other vehicles) If you want to CA that MG, you need a larger turret. Extra mags can still be mounted in the body of the vehicle, though (although a feed mechanism that will allow 360deg rotation would be rather complex, I would think...)

Alternatively, if the idea of having differing rules "levels" sticks around, this could be an "advanced" rule...
MongolHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #636
juris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongolHorde View Post

Rather than having the turret protected by the top armor, the turret is an individually armored component. So if you want a Turreted MG on your vehicle, you armor the turret (and it can now be targeted by other vehicles) If you want to CA that MG, you need a larger turret. Extra mags can still be mounted in the body of the vehicle, though (although a feed mechanism that will allow 360deg rotation would be rather complex, I would think...)

Alternatively, if the idea of having differing rules "levels" sticks around, this could be an "advanced" rule...
A seventh armor location to further punish people for using turrets? Bad enough that you need to armor the roof when you have a turret now.

I did have a thought about turrets. Remember in Truck Stop where a turret on a big rig could fire down into the roof of a smaller vehicle within 6'' (but had a blind spot at about 1.5" I believe?). Anyway, there was nothing about this in the 2.5e so was this rule discarded? I know that vehicle heights are on p. 37 of the Compendium. Does this mean that a turret on a lux could fire down into the roof of a subcompact, etc (probably for a -2 for attacker not in arc of fire of target side). That would actually make turrets pretty lethal ;)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #637
kjamma4

Quote:
A seventh armor location to further punish people for using turrets? Bad enough that you need to armor the roof when you have a turret now.
You probably wouldn't need to buy the top armor now.

Quote:
I did have a thought about turrets. Remember in Truck Stop where a turret on a big rig could fire down into the roof of a smaller vehicle within 6'' (but had a blind spot at about 1.5" I believe?). Anyway, there was nothing about this in the 2.5e so was this rule discarded? I know that vehicle heights are on p. 37 of the Compendium. Does this mean that a turret on a lux could fire down into the roof of a subcompact, etc (probably for a -2 for attacker not in arc of fire of target side). That would actually make turrets pretty lethal ;)
I think the standard rule is that all weapons can elevate/depress 45 degrees.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote