Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Azel

Default I am intrigued by Aquelarre (rpg from Spain)

Obviously I am on the slowmobile because I only recently heard of this rpg from Spain and it's been out since 1990s. However, it piqued my interest because the setting sounds right up my alley and very relevant to In Nomine.

Summary: A Basic Role Playing (BRPs) influenced system (remember CoC percentile?) where humans play in 15th Century Iberian peninsula. The setting is a heady mix of Christian, Moorish, and Jewish Iberia where the five kingdoms vie for dominance. However, the real war is behind the scenes with scary cryptid monsters -- vampires and werewolves and ghouls, oh my -- and, you guessed it, the celestial war between angels and demons.

The game (as I understand it from bilingual fans) stands out for its surreal mood and heavily researched setting. Sorcerous spells are derived from the folk-magic and satanic medieval recipes. Components end up with macabre lists and rituals that tread into mutilated dead babies territory. Rationality and faith are paired character statistics that guide players through mortal and moral danger. The atmosphere draws upon the horror of Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages, but with celestials as top of the heap of monstrous antagonists.

It sounds like a hoot and a half.

And yet I'm left wondering. How amazing it would be to have an In Nomine production line deal with all those epic past ages: pre-Reconquista Iberia, Rise of Babylonia, Silk Road, Age of Rome, etc. And here's a work that has a fanbase clamoring to get this game the respect they feel it deserves in the English speaking world. At simplest, basic translation sounds like a real opportunity for either BRPs or GURPs to pick up fan appreciation.

But in my heart of heart I dream of an In Nomine conversion...

Anyone else heard whispers of this game? For those who know, is it perhaps too "hardcore" for our US palate? Is it beyond imagining SJG pulls off another coup and imports another 'blasphemous' European RPG with a respectful hand to both source material and delicate national sensibilities?
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta