Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
snarky

Default Re: Looking to make a smaller Fantasy deck with bits of everything...

IIRC, those were cheats mostly - essentially doors that don't fit the other categories.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
IIRC, those were cheats mostly - essentially doors that don't fit the other categories.
Would things like Super Munchkin and Half-Breed be in that category, too, along with Cheat! ?
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
snarky

Yes, I believe that they were.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Decimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
OK, here's the thing. I'm going to visit my parents in Arkansas in July, and I want to introduce them to Munchkin.
I recently got two of my friends into this game. They usually won't even try games like this. Somehow I managed to talk them into giving it a shot. I started them both out with the online interactive demo first one at a time. I used only the core fantasy deck. Then we proceeded to play a very hand holding round (everyones cards on the table face up...haha) and I would offer suggestions now and then and answer any questions. Next round they were rolling along pretty well with only a little help, but every game a new situation came up that I had to refer to the rules about or they were just completely confused about a small detail.

The reason I said all that is because even though they did enjoy it, they still had tons of questions depending on the situation and we were just playing with the core set. Munchkin isn't a super complicated game, but my friends are not used to this kind of thing, and if your parents are also not used to these kinds of games, they may also be quite confused.

I recommend not mixing things up. Once they get the hang of it more or less, you can through in Munchkin 2 or 3 and still keep things pretty straight forward, but introducing new game mechanics right after teaching them will just confuse them more. I tried to play Munchkin Zombies with them the next day and the little differences threw them off so bad. It was like starting over. We went back to the core set and it was fine though. Ease them into it.
Decimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
natesroom

I have an observation to make on this game. every time i've demo'd the game, i come across a person who cannot seem to understand how they get their combat strength. Maybe its in my explanations or something. I've usually found this to be the case with Older women (over 50) unless they have had RPG backgrounds

So what i've tried to do is really dumb down the game a bit. Just basic monsters items a few races and classes. thats it. Play that for awhile then open it up to basic fantasy.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
jarAGGIE05

Any time I introduce Munchkin to someone new, I always use the base set or the base set with Munchkin 2. Not that Munchkin is a difficult game to learn, but once you get into steeds, dungeons, cheat with both hand cards, etc. it can be a little overwhelming. For first timers, I'd make the game as approachable as possible. Munchkin 2 really just added a race and a class if I remember correctly, plus the base game by itself is still really fun.
jarAGGIE05 is offline   Reply With Quote