Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
B9anders

Default How to model the stress of Psionic Power overload?

I don't think I've seen this effect covered in any of Supers/Powers/Psionics series, but it is a very common effect in comics:

I'd like to model the effects psions get when they stretch their power to the limit, including when their powers are overstretched.

It is common to see for example, nosebleeds when psions start pushing themselves to their limit. And when they get pushed beyond it (someone breaks through the force field or mindshield, she finally let's go of the oil tanker she's been keeping suspended to get people clear, etc), being stunned, or even falling unconscious, is not uncommon.

How do you model these effect? I don't think slapping costs fatigue on psionic powers is a good way to go, but I am not really sure how GURPS is supposed to emulate this.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
mhd

Default Re: How to model the stress of Psionic Power overload?

Psi Techniques and Extra Effort both cost FP and you can critically fail them… Not enough?
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Psi Techniques and Extra Effort both cost FP and you can critically fail them… Not enough?
That models extra effort, but not actual overload - ie the stun or even unconsciousness the invisible girl can take when someone or something is actually strong enough to break through her force fields.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
mhd

For outside overload, you could add some kind of Nuisance Effect to the actual ability. Sounds a bit like Backlash, especially the variant where you can resist the initial effect. Overload is probably pretty rare, so maybe 5% of the original cost? That would make Unconsciousness a -10% limitation. Might still be too generous…

Or just make it a setting rule for the Psi power modifier. If "overloaded", roll on the table XX…
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
That models extra effort, but not actual overload - ie the stun or even unconsciousness the invisible girl can take when someone or something is actually strong enough to break through her force fields.
Unconsciousness can result from overspent FP in the first place. As for other effects, what about the Optionally Crippling Effects on p.7 of Psionic Powers.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-01-2012 at 04:02 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Unconsciousness can result from overspend FP in the first place. As for other effects, what about the Optionally Crippling Effects on p.7 of Psionic Powers.
Yeah. It sounds like just an alternate effect for a roll of 18 on that table.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Bruno

I would normally be looking at Costs FP here (or just spending FP on Extra Effort, even Godlike Extra Effort... or Ultrapower FP). Nose bleeds certainly aren't HP damage; instead of becoming short of breath and red faced they get nose bleeds and eventually ear/eye bleeds seems like a perfectly acceptable set of symptoms. Psis usually have high Will, so they're going to stagger around obscenely long after spending to negative FP, and then eventually pass out when they fail the will check. If they manage to keep spending after 0 FP, they'll loose HPs, for that long term strain effect - that might be where the ears start bleeding and the eyes get blood shot.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
I don't think I've seen this effect covered in any of Supers/Powers/Psionics series, but it is a very common effect in comics:

I'd like to model the effects psions get when they stretch their power to the limit, including when their powers are overstretched.

It is common to see for example, nosebleeds when psions start pushing themselves to their limit. And when they get pushed beyond it (someone breaks through the force field or mindshield, she finally let's go of the oil tanker she's been keeping suspended to get people clear, etc), being stunned, or even falling unconscious, is not uncommon.

How do you model these effect? I don't think slapping costs fatigue on psionic powers is a good way to go, but I am not really sure how GURPS is supposed to emulate this.
You could call it "costs fatigue" to get the cost, but use one of the other systems designed for magic that are cost-equivalent to using fatigue. Particularly, I would try the rules on Threshold-limited Magic from Thaumatology, and a customized Calamity table (or, for something that takes less work, just use the standard Fright Check table in place of the Calamity table, which has approximately the right feel.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote