Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#50): Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They aren't in 1e. Longevity is in Horseclans, from 1987, where it is 40 points. I don't know where Unaging originated.
Maybe Fantasy Folk or wherever else Elves first appeared.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
a humble lich

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#50): Extended Lifespan, Longevity, Unaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Maybe Fantasy Folk or wherever else Elves first appeared.
That is where I first saw it. I remember Longevity in the 3e Basic set in ~1988 costing 40 points, and then seeing Extended Lifespan and Unaging in Fantasy Folk a couple years later for 15 and 60 points respectively.

I had several characters who took Longevity at 40 points, but I honestly can't tell you why. It was junior high and I did a lot of things that I don't understand now. There may have been a fascination with characters that were old but looked young--I also played a lot of elves.

Now I am curious about the elf template. There was a brief elf template in the 3e core book for 40 points which did not include any age related advantage. I remember the Fantasy Folk elves (1st ed.) also costing 40 points and having unaging. I wonder what else was in that template to bring the cost down?

Edit: I'm sorry for the necromancy, I forgot I was looking in a different window where I was looking something up instead of the current discussion page.

Last edited by a humble lich; 11-10-2018 at 03:34 PM.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #13
Andreas

Dungeon Fantasy 3 says "They’re also long-lived, but this has no effect in dungeon fantasy – monsters with aging attacks always afflict victims in proportion to racial life expectancy. Thus, elf templates omit Unaging."

Which seems like a non sequitor since Unaging makes you immune to aging attacks in addition to altering the life expectancy.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #14
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Dungeon Fantasy 3 says "They’re also long-lived, but this has no effect in dungeon fantasy – monsters with aging attacks always afflict victims in proportion to racial life expectancy. Thus, elf templates omit Unaging."

Which seems like a non sequitor since Unaging makes you immune to aging attacks in addition to altering the life expectancy.
You forget Dungeon Fantasy, aslo strips most of the Social traits from the game so that Knights don't have to buy status either. The a lot of this DF says in not relevant to the genre. Ageing attack most are real just kill in if hit X number times attack, that X is the same regardless of the life span of the race, so we will not charge you for something that will have no effect. This includes if Unage races aren't immune to these attack either
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Yeah.

The most important reason that the changes that Project Jade Serenity caused in the 'supersoldier' candidates include something like Longevity, Extended Lifespan or even Unaging was to justify comic book aging and the trope that most every important character has the physique of someone in their young adult prime, unless it's an important plot point for them not to.

Chase Taylor (my PC) doesn't look even remotely his age at 37 and Cherry Bell, our NPC resident psychopath, looks nineteen at most, despite being 36. Some of the US Army Special Forces NPCs who were in their mid-forties already when they went through Project Jade Serenity look rugged enough seventeen years later, even appropriately middle-aged, but they are all ripped as [bleep], with the bodies of much younger men.
This isn't any of these traits, this is being the subject of a rejuvenation treatment, something completely different and with no known point value.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
You forget Dungeon Fantasy, aslo strips most of the Social traits from the game so that Knights don't have to buy status either. The a lot of this DF says in not relevant to the genre. Ageing attack most are real just kill in if hit X number times attack, that X is the same regardless of the life span of the race, so we will not charge you for something that will have no effect. This includes if Unage races aren't immune to these attack either

It does illustrate the principle that if an advantage provides no benefit not to charge for it. Monster Hunters also ignores unaging.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In any campaign where point costs matter, I agree with this. I've never had Longevity, Extended Lifespan or Unaging actually provide an in-game benefit woth a single point. They are merely a part of background.
Reverend Pee Kitty in his house rules calls them “flavor traits” and reduces their costs. There seems to be a general consensus that the RAW costs should only be used in a campaign where aging issues actually come up: foes with supernatural aging attacks, a mix of immortal and mortal PCs in a campaign with significant game-time passing. In campaigns where they won’t come up, they merit a 0-point feature.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 11-15-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #18
SilvercatMoonpaw

I do like the idea of them being a form of Unusual Background. At least partly because if I think about them that way I can actually gain a slightly-less-vague idea about what that trait is supposed to cost.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #19
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No, I did not forget that. My point was tha Unaging makes you immune to aging attacks as well, which means that the justification in DF3 for why elves don't have it misses the point.

Which monsters have the kill if "hit X number times" attack you mentioned by the way?
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Reverend Pee Kitty in his house rules calls them “flavor traits” and reduces their costs. There seems to be a general consensus that the RAW costs should only be used in a campaign where aging issues actually come up: foes with supernatural aging attacks, a mix of immortal and mortal PCs in a campaign with significant game-time passing. In campaigns where they won’t come up, they merit a 0-point feature.
In some settings, it may even qualify as a dangerous secret.
It reminds me of the plot of The Immortal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Im...1970_TV_series)

Tags
advantage of the week, extended lifespan, longevity, unaging, week, [basic]