Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 10-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Voice as a digital-only trait for Digital Minds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I would imagine with all the memetic warfare flying about, it would be S.O.P. to neutralize potential manipulations with avatar "banal-izations".
Making those of opposite views sound/look silly might be a juvenile but highly addictive habit.
It's also extremely likely to give you penalties similar to Low Empathy / Clueless / Oblivious on top of whatever traits you have (positive and negative), since it's garbling lots of cues. Not just cutting down, but actively garbling or replacing. And no, a LAI isn't good at replacing them with fake cues of the same class.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It's also extremely likely to give you penalties similar to Low Empathy / Clueless / Oblivious on top of whatever traits you have (positive and negative), since it's garbling lots of cues. Not just cutting down, but actively garbling or replacing. And no, a LAI isn't good at replacing them with fake cues of the same class.
Toning down the silkiness of a voice would not garble it by any means, nor would smoothing the appearance to average or mildly attractive.
Personal A.I.s should know their users triggers and "manipulatable" weak spots.
I think you over emphasize L.A.I. low empathy and conflate it with an inability to adapt to individual owners' tastes and preferences.
Empathy is instinctive, but that doesn't mean we that lack human normal levels of it can't learn to fake it through higher cognitive functions and brute force experience with individuals.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Toning down the silkiness of a voice would not garble it by any means, nor would smoothing the appearance to average or mildly attractive.
I think you over emphasize L.A.I. low empathy and conflate it with an inability to adapt to individual owners' tastes and preferences.
Empathy is instinctive, but that doesn't mean we that lack human normal levels of it can't learn to fake it through higher cognitive functions and brute force experience with individuals.
What I mean is: by toning down the silky voice, the AI is (almost surely unknowingly) toning down the voice cues that you use to differentiate fake laughter from genuine, by toning down the appearance the AI is sweeping all the microexpressions under the rug and now you can't differentiate a polite smile from a mischievous one from a happy friendly one, by toning down the influential gestures the AI is also toning down the cues of possible combat-readiness, and probably also garbling the nuances of e.g. how a person concealing an SMG under her coat moves.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
You can ask your receiving AI to also mangle other people's Appearance too (whether avatar or real-life). Most users don't, though.
If there was some sort of "AI Conspiracy" they'd have a darn easy time of it in some communities as so many rely on an AI to filter their perception...
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Sociopaths learn to do it after all but they do make mistakes.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Sociopaths learn to do it after all but they do make mistakes.
But that still assumes a constantly changing group of people. If a sociopath had to work only on a single person actively helping them learn, they would eventually be better at cues than any natural human would on cursory meetings.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
What I mean is: by toning down the silky voice, the AI is (almost surely unknowingly) toning down the voice cues that you use to differentiate fake laughter from genuine, by toning down the appearance the AI is sweeping all the microexpressions under the rug and now you can't differentiate a polite smile from a mischievous one from a happy friendly one, by toning down the influential gestures the AI is also toning down the cues of possible combat-readiness, and probably also garbling the nuances of e.g. how a person concealing an SMG under her coat moves.
I'm not talking about cartoon-ing the information, merely a slight reduction in tightly defined super attractiveness of voice/appearance.
Most such cues are all in the head of the viewer and never really existed anyway. In reality, no one can tell veracity of statements by involuntary cues alone anyway, so I'm sure much of this super subtle information you think exists doesn't really.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I'm not talking about cartoon-ing the information, merely a slight reduction in tightly defined super attractiveness of voice/appearance.
Most such cues are all in the head of the viewer and never really existed anyway. In reality, no one can tell veracity of statements by involuntary cues alone anyway, so I'm sure much of this super subtle information you think exists doesn't really.
If you're saying that the cues used by humans with the default level of empathy [0] are mostly in the viewer's head, that seems to be an admission that the cues of Empathy [15] are mostly in the viewer's head too; you seem very opposed to the latter point, so that's unlikely to be what you're saying.

I'm saying that modifying the video and audio enough to tone down things as major Apperance and Voice is extremely likely to also tone done into oblivion whatever very subtle cures humans use for their default level of empathy, resulting in the viewer suffering the penalties similar to Low Empathy / Clueless / Oblivious.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
ldj00

Hello,

That means the most average, common looks are you most effective agents for spreading memetic code.

They would be toned down the least, or maybe even unfiltered.

And seeing that unfiltered emotion and passion would have a strikingly effect result.

I could also see how a hacked personal AI could add positive or negative visual triggers to people the AI was hacked to make its client like or dislike.

Think of the Kennedy/Nixon debate. Those who only heard it thought Nixon was the clear winner, but those who saw it thought Kennedy won the debate.

Same words, same people, only visual cues made the difference.

And it is easy to mis-interpret those visual cues or for a trained actor (or AI running a Bioshell) to change those to mislead those viewing.

And the levels and what is considered norm will change over time, so in a given time period and exposure to what is current, James Earl Jones voice may become old hat and common, but in an isolated orbital colony, it might be the new hotness.

Tags
infomorph, synching, synthing, voice