Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
JohnPaulB

Default Reading is what Option?

So what is the letter option for a disengaged figure to do something non-combative like read the warning label of a potion or blow a horn or pick a lock? This would be the List of Options ITL page 102.

Would it be
(w) any other action.

If you have several figures, they don't all have to go into combat mode.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Reading is what Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
So what is the letter option for a disengaged figure to do something non-combative like read the warning label of a potion or blow a horn or pick a lock? This would be the List of Options ITL page 102.

Would it be
(w) any other action.

If you have several figures, they don't all have to go into combat mode.
Whatever is the closest sort of option. If there's a GM, it's up to them.

For reading, I'd say that's close to Cast A Spell or Disbelieve.

Blowing a horn would I think be near-impossible while moving much. I'd say like firing a missile weapon, requiring not being engaged (one last toot possible if engaged that turn) and limiting movement to 1 hex.

Picking a lock takes longer than most combats and trying to continue doing so during combat would require the figure to stay facing the lock and not do much other than that. Maybe they could stop for a turn to Disbelieve or cast a spell that doesn't require hand movements. If they get attacked in melee or wounded, I think they'd be interrupted.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Reading is what Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Whatever is the closest sort of option. If there's a GM, it's up to them.

For reading, I'd say that's close to Cast A Spell or Disbelieve.

Blowing a horn would I think be near-impossible while moving much. I'd say like firing a missile weapon, requiring not being engaged (one last toot possible if engaged that turn) and limiting movement to 1 hex.

Picking a lock takes longer than most combats and trying to continue doing so during combat would require the figure to stay facing the lock and not do much other than that. Maybe they could stop for a turn to Disbelieve or cast a spell that doesn't require hand movements. If they get attacked in melee or wounded, I think they'd be interrupted.
I'll buy that. How about:
Expanded List of Options ITL page 102.
(w) any other action. [This would be for those figures not in combat. Choose Option W, then perform whatever is the closest sort of option that would be appropriate.]

Sometimes you need to pick that lock even if there is fighting. Hopefully your defenders can protect the lockpicker long enough to do the job. Picking Lock for Locksmith takes 12 turns; For unskilled takes either 12 turns or 24 turns.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote