Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Voice as a digital-only trait for Digital Minds?

Greetings, all!

First, I know about Synching. This is not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking more at the idea of Synthing (heh):

It is not exactly hard for a rich Infomorph to get Voice while possessing a meat body - just buy an appropriate bioshell. But this being THS, (a) a specific shell is not always available and (b) much of the communication goes by radio/wire, through social telepresence etc.
And that's what sort of Voice I'm looking for. Some sort of 'virtual voicebox' that is used to generate speech with a pleasant sound, that is later fed into communication lines as a realistic avatar. Since we're talking about an Infomorph, there's no need for any extra neural-interface hardware - it's possible to just connect to the same outputs as are used to control a bioshell's voicebox, but use them in digital form. There are some questions, though:
  • What would be a reasonable limitation on Voice that is 'digital only', i.e. applicable only when the infomorph speaks through radio or similar, not when talking face to face in a normal-voiced bioshell?
  • What would the reasonable price tag look like for such a synth pack? I'm assuming a single-user permanent license as usual for all of the non-update-hoggy THS software.

Thanks in advance!

Tags
infomorph, synching, synthing, voice