Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
fdsa1234567890

Default How would you model Clarissa Mao's implant in The Expanse?

In the Expanse, Clarissa Mao has some sort of adrenal amp that gives her limited extreme strength and agility at the cost of crashing as soon as it wears off within only a few seconds. It is also not particularly good for her health.

I could find a few drugs in Bio-Tech that do similar things, but not to the same degree. How might this be modeled?
fdsa1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: How would you model Clarissa Mao's implant in The Expanse?

Increased attributes and ATR 1 with a large fatigue cost and a tiny chance of getting a heart attack might be a start.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
Refplace

Also consider Aftermath or Cardiac Stress limitations from GURPS BioTech or GURPS Power-Ups limitations.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Varyon

As an Advantage, you're probably looking at something like increased Basic Speed (or even outright ETS), markedly increased ST (optionally with Unsupported - while it never happens, at least not in the show, she's at risk of serious injury), and a nasty Aftermath. That last bit is probably a combination of Unconsciousness (it outright knocks her out, although making it Resistible may be an option) and, as Taneli and Refplace note, Cardiac Stress (which IIRC costs FP, requires an HT roll to not cost even more FP, and causes a Heart Attack on a Critical Failure).

The longterm health effects probably don't really need to be statted out; at most, maybe something like a Quirk-level Reduced Lifespan.

As gear or a drug, you could still have the same above effects, just no need to pay points for it. I believe there's a Pyramid article on drug design that you could use as guidance for monetary cost, however.

Last edited by Varyon; 09-08-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote