Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default Jam Screens and Radar...truncation?

I noticed in the Battlebox rules we now have Radar included with it's rules but no mention of Jam Screens. The Radar rules mention how it can be used in Scenario specific ways with discrete game functions such as disruption of Cruise Missiles, which previously was a Jam Screen function.

Have Jam Screens been rolled into Radar and we no longer use the word "Jam Screen"?

If I'm using a Radar building with CM disruption, is that to be called "Radar" or "Jam Screen" or "Radar with CM disruption"?...or...what?

I ask because this will influence one of my Scenarios and I just want to be using the proper OGREverse vernacular.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Jam Screens and Radar...truncation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I noticed in the Battlebox rules we now have Radar included with it's rules but no mention of Jam Screens. The Radar rules mention how it can be used in Scenario specific ways with discrete game functions such as disruption of Cruise Missiles, which previously was a Jam Screen function.

Have Jam Screens been rolled into Radar and we no longer use the word "Jam Screen"?

If I'm using a Radar building with CM disruption, is that to be called "Radar" or "Jam Screen" or "Radar with CM disruption"?...or...what?

I ask because this will influence one of my Scenarios and I just want to be using the proper OGREverse vernacular.
Going by the Ogre Minis 2nd book...no, they're still discrete terms. They're listed separately in the Structures list (page 24), given separate rules (page 24 and 47), etc.

I'm guessing Battle Box 3.06.Radar is suggesting that the 'radar dish' 3D token could proxy for either system...but that's assumption, speculation, and conjecture on my part. I'm not Phil, Drew, or Steve, so until one of them weighs in don't take that as law.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Going by the Ogre Minis 2nd book...no, they're still discrete terms. They're listed separately in the Structures list (page 24), given separate rules (page 24 and 47), etc.

I'm guessing Battle Box 3.06.Radar is suggesting that the 'radar dish' 3D token could proxy for either system...but that's assumption, speculation, and conjecture on my part. I'm not Phil, Drew, or Steve, so until one of them weighs in don't take that as law.
I think that realistically both functions would require similar forms, meaning that the 3-D mini could be used for either function, possibly both at the same time. The only possible confusion I can see is if BOTH are permitted in the same scenario, but require separate structures. Then you'd need a way to differentiate between the two, at least visually.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I think that realistically both functions would require similar forms, meaning that the 3-D mini could be used for either function, possibly both at the same time. The only possible confusion I can see is if BOTH are permitted in the same scenario, but require separate structures. Then you'd need a way to differentiate between the two, at least visually.
Yeah. It shouldn't be a problem on hex boards, since Sensor Nets are wholly redundant there (no ranging / non-laser LOS / etc, therefore no need for a system that negates such things)...but I hope that as the plastics line expands, they bring back structures as well. Way back when (and I know, preaching to the choir), they did have different shapes...rectangular for one, circular for the other.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 12-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Quote:
I'm guessing Battle Box 3.06.Radar is suggesting that the 'radar dish' 3D token could proxy for either system.
Ok then. Thanks.

That does seem to be the intent.

I have to add that the 3D Radar Dish Token looks very cool.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Ok then. Thanks.

That does seem to be the intent.

I have to add that the 3D Radar Dish Token looks very cool.
Happy to help! And agreed, until we get them in plastic / I kitbash something, those will have a place on both my hex boards and my regular wargaming terrain. :D
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
wolf90

Rules for Jam Screens, Radar, Sensor Nets, Command Control, etc. currently only exist in the Ogre Miniatures ruleset. They have not (yet) made an official jump to Ogre Sixth Edition. As speculated, the structure does not matter so much as the rules you're are assigning to the structure. As such, it only matters if there is more than one set of rules in play during a game.

So . . . it would make sense that we include two different looking radar structures in Battlefields, wouldn't it?

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Rules for Jam Screens, Radar, Sensor Nets, Command Control, etc. currently only exist in the Ogre Miniatures ruleset. They have not (yet) made an official jump to Ogre Sixth Edition. As speculated, the structure does not matter so much as the rules you're are assigning to the structure. As such, it only matters if there is more than one set of rules in play during a game.

So . . . it would make sense that we include two different looking radar structures in Battlefields, wouldn't it?

D.
Now I need to read the book closer. I saw Jam screens and Sensor Nets plain as day, but will go hunting for the other two as soon as I get home...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
wolf90

There are no specific "Radar" rules in there, other than as how they relate to Sensor Nets, etc. Command Control is in there, however!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

D.
It would make sense to include two different looking "radar" structures in Battlefields...even if they are not used as radar.
That said, until I see full page layouts of all counters available for BATTLEFIELDS I'm calling uncorroborated teaser! :)

Looking forward to the fully iterated and official jump to 6th Edition with clearly defined and established parameters and rules.
All these permutational semantics make my head feel funny...