Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 10-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Kersus

Default Necro-Threads

So what's the issue with replying to old threads that are still relevant now? Seems shortsighted to start a new thread on something already in progress that is about the same subject - even more so when it's seldom talked about. So there's an old link in an earlier post that doesn't work. It in no way takes away from the usefulness of the thread. In fact preserving and reusing pertinent threads is what keeps discussion alive and useful.

The very old rules about "necro" may have debatable had a time and place decades ago and usually only in spaces where there were "edition" arguments. It's time to step out of that little old box and allow open conversation.

I guess if the archaic rules are kept to the letter we could copy and past all the old posts into a new thread and continue. Would that satisfy the moderators?
Kersus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Necro-Threads

The objection to thread necro is more specific than "don't use old threads." In my experience, it's an objection to taking an old thread, and stitching on a different, if peripherally connected question, or just "Me too!"

Threads with more general subjects, like an entire GURPS trait, or a collection of alternate histories, get posts after long gaps with no problems at all.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The objection to thread necro is more specific than "don't use old threads." In my experience, it's an objection to taking an old thread, and stitching on a different, if peripherally connected question, or just "Me too!"
This is true. However, there's another concern: we're talking about evolving games and older discussion may be not just stale but wrong.

In the Munchkin forum, for instance, there's the danger of having someone resurrect a thread about a specific card or rule that has been revised (or even removed) since the original post. Someone who wasn't paying close attention might not realize that the thread is about an obsolete topic and think that the discussion is current.

GURPS continues to add new supplements, and a question from 2008 about how to build a character or a trait might have a different answer in 2018 given the decade of Pyramid issues and GURPS books that have come out since then. It's even possible that the forum discussion influenced the new rule.

It's not that we absolutely ban necro threads. We ask users to make sure that the discussion is still current and relevant before doing so.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

My experience with regards to old threads on these forums has been very pleasant. An old thread may be appropriate to post in if you have something useful to add, and if the whole of the thread is still relevant to the discussion. If its merely a similar topic, you probably want to use your old thread.

You've mentioned copy-pasting all the old posts into a new thread. I sometimes notice people linking to an old thread and then asking if the discussion, or a specific point, in it is valid. Sometimes they will quote the most interesting part of the conversation. So you have that alternative to thread necromancy.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
archaic, necro