Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Allensh

Default Questions

When you spend Quirk points on Extra Money they are not added to your point total. Does this then mean that you have to drop stuff equal to those five points?
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Questions

It just reduces the overall point value of your character.

For example, if you spend all five Quirk points on money, a starting character would be 245 points.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
It just reduces the overall point value of your character.

For example, if you spend all five Quirk points on money, a starting character would be 245 points.
But if that is the case, I see an issue.
You didn't actually spend those Quirk points so that makes the character balloon to 255 points OR you have to drop 5 points worth of either advantages or skills to make up the difference so you actually do come out at 245 points.
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
zuljita

No, the quirk points are just lost if spent on gear, see Grükuk on Adventurers p.119 for an example.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
No, the quirk points are just lost if spent on gear, see Grükuk on Adventurers p.119 for an example.
That's a good example.

You have a 250 point character without quirks. You take five quirks, that reduces you to a 245 point character with 5 points to spend. You trade those points for cash, but don't allocate the points anywhere on the character sheet.

You end up with a 245 point character with a lot of money.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
But if that is the case, I see an issue.
You didn't actually spend those Quirk points so that makes the character balloon to 255 points OR you have to drop 5 points worth of either advantages or skills to make up the difference so you actually do come out at 245 points.
That's a little bit confusing to me.

I think you did spend those quirk points.

Let's see; your character has a budget of 250 points.

You spend it all. Then you take 5 points of quirks. Your character's value is now actually 245 points.

That means you could spend those five points on traits to get to your budget of 250. But instead of spending them on traits you convert them to money.

Now the value of your character is actually 245 + the (expendable) gear you bought with the money.

A third party now can't tell by looking at your character sheet that you had a beginning budget of 250 . . . unless of course that person is smart enough to account for all your gear and money before you start to use it.

(I believe the point total on your character sheet must now reflect the 245 not the 250.)

Edit: It looks like some of this was already answered while I typed.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
A third party now can't tell by looking at your character sheet that you had a beginning budget of 250 . . .
This is why I have my PCs account for it on there sheet under their Perks. They just put down "Perk: Points for Cash [X]".

That way int he future when I'm making copies of their sheets and making sure everyone has properly spent their points, I don't have people claiming they have 5 more points to spend.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:44 AM   #8
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
This is why I have my PCs account for it on there sheet under their Perks. They just put down "Perk: Points for Cash [X]".
Makes sense to me. I don't quite understand the business of "reducing character value" for purchasing cash. Marking down "Extra cash: $2500 [5]" seems more clean and easy to me than messing with character value. Anyone else can look at the form, now or years later, and easily see where every point went.

But maybe (probably!) there's a good argument for the "reduce character value" method that I'm not aware of.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
But maybe (probably!) there's a good argument for the "reduce character value" method that I'm not aware of.
I think the theory is that since you don't charge points for cash acquired in play, you want to avoid having two characters who have been in play long enough to have completely rotated out their equipment being worth a different number of points despite being absolutely identical.

If you're going to record it and want consistency, you should record everybody else's gear costs divided by whatever as worth points somewhere on their character sheets too. Which means character point values will fluctuate up and down pretty significantly as they gain or lose gear. Personally I have no problem with that (well other than it being a lot of work to track for not much gain), and think it would solve a lot of wealth related issues all around, but others get upset when scoring a good item means somebody gets "more points" in a session than everybody else or losing their gear means their point value drops a lot.

Similar problems come up pretty much any time you have two different sorts of character value currencies you can acquire in different ways but sometimes want to trade one for the other - in GURPS the other spot tends to be character points vs energy costs of magic items. In other systems xp/levels vs time and/or cash costs of training come up more.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I think the theory is that since you don't charge points for cash acquired in play, you want to avoid having two characters who have been in play long enough to have completely rotated out their equipment being worth a different number of points despite being absolutely identical.
Why is that some how necessary?

I do it my way so when I do point accounting on their sheet at some later time down the road I don't end up saying "Huh, they've lost X number of points". Or if a Player accounts for themselves and forgets they spent some amount on Points for Cash during chargen they don't say "Hey GM, I forgot to write down or spend 12 points somewhere along the way!"

I really don't care if two Characters that are nigh identical in all ways but what they spent on Points for Cash are different only in that way.

It's more likely that DFRPG does it this way as Points For Cash aren't something that can ever be affected after chargen. It's not an advantage, perk, disad, skill, stat, etc that can be changed, increased, decreased, etc, so the writer (Kromm) treats it like a one time thing and doesn't want it accounted for. It's not something to have to think about later (at least for GMs who aren't me).

Where as I also accounted fro Impulse Buys in the campaign I ran that used those. Which are also not normally accounted for.

Last edited by evileeyore; 10-20-2018 at 02:52 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote