Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Terquem

Default Re: Clarification for 'running away' rules.

Wow, it has been a really long time, but I remember once when we did a city adventure and there was a chase through a busy street (complete with staged vegetable carts, and two men walking across the street with a long ladder)

I made the party roll saves against base Dex, then I had the sheriff's men roll similar saves, if the sheriff's men made their saves, (did not crash into carts, or get hamstrung by the ladder, they still needed to beat the party's saves or the party got away.

The party threw some vegetables off the carts behind them, and so I made the sheriff's rolls 4dice against Dex.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #12
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
Wow, it has been a really long time, but I remember once when we did a city adventure and there was a chase through a busy street (complete with staged vegetable carts, and two men walking across the street with a long ladder)

I made the party roll saves against base Dex, then I had the sheriff's men roll similar saves, if the sheriff's men made their saves, (did not crash into carts, or get hamstrung by the ladder, they still needed to beat the party's saves or the party got away.

The party threw some vegetables off the carts behind them, and so I made the sheriff's rolls 4dice against Dex.
This is pretty close to what I'd do.

Have the PCs roll some dice. On a success they get away. On a failure they might be captured, or lose some valuable equipment in the process of escape, or become exhausted, or injure themselves in some way.

The penalty for failure needn't always be death or its near equivalent.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Rick would you clarify please: So once Able is a head of Baker by a "narrow lead", how long does the chase go on for, and at what point does Able actually escape the chasing Baker? And how do you determine this?

Thanks,
JK
Hi Jim,
I give fatigue ST (fST) damage for long runs, so the person with the higher ST would win, as the other would run out of breath. But before that happens, people could try a variety of tricks to increase or decrease the lead.

Running past a fruit cart and spilling something behind them, leaping up and swinging on a pulley, dodging thru a crowded street (make DX rolls to avoid bumping into someone more than your opponent).

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote