Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Groknard

Default TFT for Free RPG Day 2019

Has any thought been given to creating a Free RPG Day giveaway for TFT in 2019? The timing might be perfect. Perhaps a staple-bound booklet with abbreviated Melee rules, pre-gen characters, a small programmed adventure, map and counters on the inside cover.

FRD releases were singly responsible for me giving the Dungeon Crawl Classics and Dragon Age RPGs a try and in both cases I made purchases shortly after. I would even like to help fund it as part of the Kickstarter, perhaps with the inclusion of the PDF version as the reward. Beyond the game itself, one thing we'll really want next spring is new players!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: TFT for Free RPG Day 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
Has any thought been given to creating a Free RPG Day giveaway for TFT in 2019? The timing might be perfect. Perhaps a staple-bound booklet with abbreviated Melee rules, pre-gen characters, a small programmed adventure, map and counters on the inside cover.
I had a chat with Aldo about exactly this at Gen Con. The challenge comes down to timing; we have a lot on our plates, and our focus is on getting the game wrapped up and as incredible as we can manage _before_ turning our attention to possible other projects.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Buzzardo

Great idea. It'd do a bunch for visibility.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Great idea. It'd do a bunch for visibility.
The problem is that it'd also be a large subset of Melee if it's a QS.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I had a chat with Aldo about exactly this at Gen Con. The challenge comes down to timing; we have a lot on our plates, and our focus is on getting the game wrapped up and as incredible as we can manage _before_ turning our attention to possible other projects.
There's always next year.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
There's always next year.
At the moment, it is unlikely that we will have time to craft something for 2019.

When Aldo and I were discussing the possibility of a TFT release for Free RPG Day, he recommended that we crowdfund a small adventure to give away for Free RPG Day. Any thoughts on that recommendation?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
Shostak

That sounds like a good idea. My.preference would be to see something with a great story that isn't all hack-and-slash. Something like a mystery or spy thriller set in Cidri would be super.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #8
fisherro

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
At the moment, it is unlikely that we will have time to craft something for 2019.

When Aldo and I were discussing the possibility of a TFT release for Free RPG Day, he recommended that we crowdfund a small adventure to give away for Free RPG Day. Any thoughts on that recommendation?
I backed another company’s effort to do just that, so I’d be in for helping with that.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
That sounds like a good idea. My.preference would be to see something with a great story that isn't all hack-and-slash. Something like a mystery or spy thriller set in Cidri would be super.
A stand-alone, solo adventure -- with everything in the package -- would likely be a fantastic effort for Free RPG Day. Then, the adventure can be used to introduce _anyone_ to the game, even those players unfortunate enough to be without a group.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherro View Post
I backed another company’s effort to do just that, so I’d be in for helping with that.
Can you share a link to the project? I'd love to get a feel for how someone else handled this.