Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #171
Tom H.

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Thanks for helping to educate us on the business. It's a great reference.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #172
voodoo54

Yeah and I'm glad you made a profit off of this endeavor. Hopefully incentive for some more great products.
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #173
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Hall of Judgment is now available in hardcopy from Warehouse 23 as well as the Gaming Ballistic website.

The success of HoJ in both places - and by success that means sales and critical reviews - is being watched to see if the experiment is worth repeating with additional new product.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #174
(E)

Hall of Judgement review
First off, full disclosure I was involved in a couple of brainstorming sessions early in Hall of Judgement's development. Now that's out of the way a couple of days ago I opened up the mailbox and got my hands on the physical copy I've been looking forward to. This happened a lot faster than any of the other physical kickstarters I have backed before, not that I've backed many.

First impressions
A nice thick book for what is nominally an adventure, well packaged. Colour art is abundant throughout with some smaller illustrations tucked in here and there in the text, which personally I quite like. The art is from a variety of sources and in several styles. The layout seems straightforward and easy to follow.

The content

Adventure
A fairly compartmentalized and sandbox approach to a series of dungeons, this makes the content ideal for canabalising and each of the individual dungeons would make a great one off location. Some attention and caution is required on the part of the players to avoid getting in over their heads. But hints and clues are present to provide fair warning. Almost no work is required to use this adventure in a straight fantasy GURPS game.

Stats
There are two groups of stat blocks, the characters and the bestiary. The norse flavoured characters add depth to a GM's stack of pregens for DFRPG characters in a hurry. At the end of the day they are required content for this type of publication and there is little to say beyond that, they fit the setting and to my rule casual eyes they look legal and accurate. The bestiary is fairly well rounded and write ups are present for all the typical animals that will be encountered. This is handy as having the right numbers at hand for the non combat aspects of animals removes the not uncommon issue of having to look up something like how much can the animal carry etc.

World
I think this section fulfills the same function that the old 3rd edition GURPS worldbooks do. Which is a resource you can drop into an existing game world to add instant detail and depth. My first thought about it was "I'll use this for the possibly viking nation I haven't quite got around to yet in my current fantasy game world"
There are all sorts of useful details and information in this section. But more importantly it conveys a consistent feel for the area and culture.

Rules
Several rules are included in the book, fast grappling rules are the obvious inclusion and will probably suit some gaming group's tastes for a universal grappling system. Some other rules covering the outdoors elements are also included which means they are nice and handy in play.

Last edited by (E); 09-26-2018 at 03:36 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:16 AM   #175
Blind Mapmaker

Late to the party, I know, but I posted a review on my blog too:

https://blindmapmaker.wordpress.com/...ered-by-dfrpg/

Warning: May contain ads, depending on your ad-blocker settings (really should make my own site I know). It's only Wordpress, though.

Short version: You are unlikely to find better adventure value for your money in GURPS (or RPGs in general).
Old 10-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #176
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
Late to the party, I know, but I posted a review on my blog too:

https://blindmapmaker.wordpress.com/...ered-by-dfrpg/

Warning: May contain ads, depending on your ad-blocker settings (really should make my own site I know). It's only Wordpress, though.

Short version: You are unlikely to find better adventure value for your money in GURPS (or RPGs in general).
Great review. I linked it and provided commentary on my blog:

https://gamingballistic.com/2018/10/...lind-mapmaker/
Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #177
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Great review. I linked it and provided commentary on my blog:

https://gamingballistic.com/2018/10/...lind-mapmaker/
Wow, you are thorough! But that's good. Keeps me on my toes!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #178
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
Wow, you are thorough! But that's good. Keeps me on my toes!
There's very little that I'd take issue with in your review, and honestly, I always feel weird about responding to reviews anyway - the reviewers thoughts are the reviewer's thoughts. Hall of Judgment is important to me, and I think - though perhaps I am overstating the case out of pride - to the GURPS community as the prototype "third party licensing" experiment.

So I waffle - the "linearity" of this particular scenario is an oft-cited issue, and while it was much more true of Lost Hall, it's still got strong residuals in this one. On the other hand, "I'm driving to do something in Austin, TX from Minneapolis, MN" only has a few ways to get that done, and if your goal is also to see Colorado Springs, well, there are limited ways to travel.

Regardless, your reviews are nicely detailed and provide far more editorial content than others I've read. I like folks who offer up their opinions; the ones I agree with reinforce what I need to do in the future, and the ones I disagree with force me to think about why, and if it needs to change (because future product will be better addressing it) or not (because it's subjective, because it was key for some other reason, or whatever).

So keep it up. With luck and sales, I'll have more for you to chew on in the future!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #179
DouglasCole

International Availability for Hall of Judgment
Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #180
DouglasCole

Hall of Judgment on Sale at Warehouse 23 until December 19

Gaming Ballistic is participating in the W23 sale! Hall of Judgment is 23% off until December 19.

Hall of Judgment ALSO on Sale at Gaming Ballistic

Hall of Judgment, along with all my other RPG products are also 23% off through Jan 2 at Gaming Ballistic.