Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #21
scimon

Default Re: Spider Climb and Melee attacks.

So as I see it you've basically got chi powered toes and finger tips, capable of gripping any surface... Maybe you leave little dimples in the rock face where your toes have dug in behind you.

From reading it I'd have to say yup, you paid 18 points to be able to stand on the ceiling, you can stand on the ceiling.

From a GM's point of view this just makes life easier for the oozes.
MIB #0366. Scotland.
scimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #22
drk84

Two questions:
  1. What happens if the Martial Artist with Spider Climb is hit by a Knock Back? He falls on the floor? ( I think yes)
  2. If the Martial Artial with Spider Climbing enters the same hex of an enemy, is he considered to be in Close Combat even if it's stuck on the ceiling above? ( I think no :P)
drk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #23
scimon

I would say yes to the Knockback.

Entering the same hex would really depend on the height of the room. If it's shorter than the combined height of the two then they're totally in close combat. (Maybe with a bit of extra distance for arm reach).

(That'd be my call anyway).
MIB #0366. Scotland.
scimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #24
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk84 View Post
Two questions:
  1. What happens if the Martial Artist with Spider Climb is hit by a Knock Back? He falls on the floor? ( I think yes)
Probably he succeeds in his Immovable Stance roll. Otherwise he falls.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #25
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

In combat, the designations "below" and "above" aren't about orientation or posture, but about who is working against and with gravity. In the diagram below, fighter A is above fighter B whether A is standing on a table, leaning out a window, hanging from the ceiling, flying, or swinging from a chandelier. It doesn't matter if A is standing, kneeling, sitting, prone like flying Superman, hanging upside down like a monkey, or stuck to the ceiling like a spider.
A

B________ground
Whether such a situation counts as close combat when the martial artist (A in my figure) is walking on the ceiling depends on the distance involved. For simplicity's sake, subtract the total height of the two fighters from the distance between ceiling and floor. If the result is negative, the fighters are in close combat. Otherwise, add a yard to find effective reach required. For instance, a pair of two-yard-tall warriors are in close combat in any room less than four yards high. In rooms four, five, or six yards high, they need reach 1, 2, or 3 to attack each other.

As for knockback, the hanging martial artist falls off the ceiling on a failed DX roll to avoid falling down due to knockback (Immovable Stance is very useful here). If the roll succeeds, the martial artist goes flying but stays stuck to the ceiling. This isn't really defying gravity, as an attack from below is going to be angled upward and push the martial artist toward the ceiling. And of course this isn't a realistic ability anyway, as it can do things like totally check falling momentum; there's an active attraction at work.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote