Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Not so bad. Escape velocity for the Earth/Moon system would be 18 kWhr/kg, about $2 worth of electricity, which is a lot for package delivery, but pretty trivial as launch costs go. For the Sun at Earth 236 kWhr/kg will take you out of the solar system. To arrive at another star rather than somewhere in interstellar space you'd need to match velocity too, which could be up to 29400 kWhr/kg for galactic rotation if it happens to be on the other side from us, less than 9000 kWhr/kg for the proper motion of the fastest local star I can find data for, which is starting to look like a pretty significant cost. If it's in another galaxy, escape velocity of the Milky Way at Sol is not known with much precision (there's that how much dark matter or whatever it is problem that makes galactic rotation curves so strange), but its on the order of 35000 kWhr/kg for that.
As a note, the rotation of the earth means that you will end up spending 1 cent per kilogram to go from one side of the earth to the other using this scheme. At least in energy. In equipment and labor costs I'm sure you'll pay more.

Does this use one way gates or two way? two way would be much easier to work with, all things considered. Doesn't let the moon be accessed as easily, but means all you need is one probe.

Also, Don't forget the teleporting rocket fuel trick. That can really help make space easier to reach.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #82
PTTG

Ordained:

Everyone here is born with an elaborate Destiny appointed by the stars. The methods of determining Destiny depend largely on the exact hour of the child's first breath, the astrological portents, the location of the birth, the presence of various tokens at the time, and sometimes the mother's dreams.

Due to the number of factors, there is a vast number of potential Destinies, and aside from those immediately associated with the child, one's exact destiny is hard to determine. Only the mother knows for sure.

In game terms, everyone gets a Destiny, positive or negative, and for the large majority of people, they know that destiny with some precision. It is also known that fighting Destiny is impossible, although people do try.

Indeed, there is something to an art to subverting, yet accepting destiny. A King destined to see his nation fall might arrange to have an elaborate model of his kingdom produced, then shipped across a narrow bridge under his close oversight. Sometimes it even works.

Aside from that, this is a no-mana worldline firmly in TL 4. It's geographically identical to Earth, but politically and culturally completely different
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #83
Culture20

for "Ordained", what happens regarding visitors? Do they receive destinies? Are their destinies defined by their birth in their respective homeworlds, or by their first breath in Ordained? Can destinies receieved in Ordained extend beyond Ordained? Can they replace existing destinies, or do they just affirm them?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #84
PTTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
for "Ordained", what happens regarding visitors? Do they receive destinies? Are their destinies defined by their birth in their respective homeworlds, or by their first breath in Ordained? Can destinies receieved in Ordained extend beyond Ordained? Can they replace existing destinies, or do they just affirm them?
All interesting questions. I imagined it was a quality of the plane itself, and tied to birth. Therefore, visitors don't have destines they didn't bring with them, and local's Destines are suppressed while they are away. However, fate is subtle and powerful. I could easily see the Destinies continuing to function while away, or perhaps only functioning in regards to Ordained itself.

For example, a child with Destiny: "Rule the World" might leave Ordained, and while away encounter a high-tech world and make some powerful allies, but not be a political threat anywhere until she returns to Ordained and stumbles into a position of global power almost overnight, using the allies and technology she accumulated while away.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #85
Flyndaran
Untagged

If only the mothers know and many women die in child birth, especially at TL 4 and below... Also I'm sure many women would lie about horrible destinies to protect their kids.
"Of course honey, just remember, that before age 20, you're going to be mauled to death by a bear... sleep tight."
Old 02-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #86
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Fracture: The Earth's outer crust has been broken apart into orbiting islands strung out in orbit around the Sun, still retaining atmosphere and a facsimile of gravity on each piece's topside. with the interior of the planet seeming to just have vanished. Magic ships ply the spaces between the islands.
A lovely cross between Space Opera, Planetary Romance, and Fantasy. Very gamable.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #87
Astromancer

Patchwork Q6

Patchwork seems to be made up of bits and pieces of worlds the fit genres of popular fiction. Much of North Africa and Southwest Asia resembles a mixture of the Arabian Nights and a 1940's melodrama. In continental Europe there are vast numbers of little Ruritanian kingdoms involved in vast amounts of espionage and intrigue. Fairies, ghosts and magic are all over the British isles. The USA has a Space Program with moon bases and extra planetary and extra solar bases and colonies. Most of the American West resembles old Hollywood Westerns. Daily life in most of this America resembles old comedies, slapstick and screwball being dominant. New England, San Francisco, and New Orleans, are flooded with supernatural events. The President is one Andrew Taylor (an unmarried man his Aunt Bea is the First Lady) the Veep is a military officer named Samantha Carter, a former Air Force Captain.

Centrum wonders why they can't seem to destabilize this parallel's USA. Homeline has a shrewd guess.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 02-10-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #88
patchwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Patchwork Q6
Ooh, I like...but my namesakes are already used within the IW setting. May I suggest 'Mosaic'?
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #89
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
A lovely cross between Space Opera, Planetary Romance, and Fantasy. Very gamable.
Or just Spelljammer. ;)
Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #90
AOTA

Quote:
Fracture sounds like this book.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...=0_0_44290_0_0
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds