Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Minimum Skill Count

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Society judges women a LOT harder on physical appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's not true.
I concur. There is ample evidence that men are judged on the grounds of height, that men and women alike are judged on body fat, and that pleasing facial features are beneficial irrespective of sex.

It seems likely that today's society is still guilty of objectifying women more often than it does men . . . but stating that every woman requires Sex Appeal contributes to that objectification in its own small way. It's part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Anyway, Sex Appeal isn't physical appearance, but a form of implicit bribery – just one where the implication is a service rather than goods. Sex Appeal is affected by Appearance, but that's a one-way street; Sex Appeal in no way helps raise effective Appearance. In fact, because it's generally inappropriate (see my comments upthread), it will often be at -1 to -10 and thus fail, resulting in a "Bad" reaction. That's the average reaction for someone with -6 in reaction penalties . . . like, say, Appearance (Horrific). In rules terms, then, going around using Sex Appeal is likely to have exactly the opposite effect of increased Appearance.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote