Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: Murderiest Hobo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I guess so.

Very true. But "A.J." Armstrong wasn't a soldier in time of war. He was a private detective in the US in 1987.
I checked Wikipedia for worst serial killers and how are three out of the worst five Colombian child murderers?

All active at about the same period, one in the 70s to 1980 and two in the 90s. Two can be proven to have killed over a hundred and are accused of around 300 murders.

And they weren't criminal masterminds or anything. It's just extremely hard to find a killer who has no connection to the victim.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I checked Wikipedia for worst serial killers and how are three out of the worst five Colombian child murderers?

All active at about the same period, one in the 70s to 1980 and two in the 90s. Two can be proven to have killed over a hundred and are accused of around 300 murders.

And they weren't criminal masterminds or anything. It's just extremely hard to find a killer who has no connection to the victim.
Armstrong wasn't hard to find: he called the police if necessary.

(Strange coincidence! I looked up James Bond's on-screen bag. Not counting Never Say Never Again his total is apparently 352.)

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Armstrong wasn't hard to find: he called the police if necessary.
That sounds less like a murder-hobo and more like a vigilante killing people with the connivance of the authorities.

Quote:
(Strange coincidence! I looked up James Bond's on-screen bag. Not counting Never Say Never Again his total is apparently 352.)
I wonder if Jason Bourne has surpassed that.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
Agemegos

Quote:
That sounds less like a murder-hobo and more like a vigilante killing people with the connivance of the authorities.
It is made clear by the originating post that all PCs are of interest, not just murder-hoboes.

Quote:
I wonder if Jason Bourne has surpassed that.
Or John Wick?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
Icelander

Quote:
It is made clear by the originating post that all PCs are of interest, not just murder-hoboes.
Oh, sure.

It's just a lot more credible to get away with all the murders if no one is trying very hard (or at all) to catch him.

Quote:
Or John Wick?
That's pretty much a given. John Wick probably killed hundreds in the first movie alone.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #16
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Or John Wick?
John Wick is apparently at 299 people killed in the three films. 77 in the first, 128 in the second, and 94 in the third.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:00 AM   #17
exalted

Probably rarely got into the double digits myself can't remember any truely murderous PC I've played and several who where frustratingly incapable of doing anything useful when inevitably we got around to combat. Thought some vampires by definition probably had a fairly monstrous kill count over the centuries.

Some of the PC's people have played in my games however has been fairly murderous thought rarely intentionally building a kill count, but cities have been blown up and demonic gods have recieved monumental sacrifice rituals, ancient unknowable entities have been awoken to wreck untold harm, realities have been broken and repaired, armies have been slain with a single swing of a warhammer and so forth.

Quote:
It's just a lot more credible to get away with all the murders if no one is trying very hard (or at all) to catch him.
There have been examples in my games of authorities telling the players to just leave town, actually trying to apprehend them or sometimes worse succeding might cost a lot of people their lives :)

Thought at other times they have spent time in "correctional facilities" including more than one arena where the kill count once more was added to.

Last edited by exalted; 02-09-2020 at 04:04 AM.
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:53 AM   #18
Luke Bunyip

Do zombies count? Not my PC, but one of my mates in one of GreenNeck's Rocketeers games set on Spitsbergen Island,had his PC throw a thermite grenade down an open mine tunnel. Only problem was, it was a former coal mine. Coal dust being coal dust, it ended up causing a mine explosion which killed the mine's resident zombies and their Nazi handlers.

We had been attempting to covertly enter Longyearbyen from the west... so much for that plan.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #19
RyanW

I had a character who destroyed an entire timeline, forward and back. Not exactly killing everyone, but countless trillions who ceased to have ever existed at all.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #20
SolemnGolem

This reminds me of one anecdote from Jennifer Diane Reitz, reminiscing about her earlier RPG sessions. (I can no longer find it on her site, but it was there back in 2003.)

From what I can recall, one RPG was set on a derelict spaceship as a dungeon crawl, and each player had to head off in their own direction and accomplish some separate goal to succeed together.

The players had brought along gear and equipment from a variety of old campaigns, some not even set in sci-fi, so it was a bit of a grab bag.

One player had The Box with him. The Box's was some apparently invulnerable but insubstantial box that could double its linear size each turn and then trap things inside it once it manifested physically. The current GM failed to adequately vet the player's inventory before game start.

This player got through his task and got bored. He left the ship through an airlock and spent a few rounds positioning himself outside, and then deployed The Box.

The other players didn't realize what he was doing until it was too late. Each round, The Box grew larger and larger, and they began racing back to the rogue player's airlock to try to get out and stop him. But they couldn't get there in time, and eventually after a few dozen turns, the rogue player sealed The Box around the spaceship, the planet it was orbiting around, and in fact the entire nearby solar system that that was orbiting around.

The GM handed the player his campaign notes and declared the adventure concluded.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote