Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Christopher R. Rice

Default Alternate Dungeon Fantasy Currency

Folks,

The title says it all. I'm wondering what sort of currency systems you've used in your campaigns, created, etc. for Dungeon Fantasy. I'm contemplating a system that uses precious stones vs. coinage, but I'd like to see what others think.

Thanks to all who answer!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
PseudoFenton

Default Re: Alternate Dungeon Fantasy Currency

Heh, I've made a few - sufficient to say the simplest version is the one currently in use.

DF is not the place to get creative with coinage, money is money and if it starts being other things you throw the whole balance of "and take their stuff" out of whack.

Feel free to give alternatives to coinage, and different forms of consolidated wealth, hell even allow some interesting flavour or room for subtle tips - just don't mess too much with it - a $ must always be a $ and there must always be a means to convert everything into that unyielding representation of a $.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
Heh, I've made a few - sufficient to say the simplest version is the one currently in use.

DF is not the place to get creative with coinage, money is money and if it starts being other things you throw the whole balance of "and take their stuff" out of whack.

Feel free to give alternatives to coinage, and different forms of consolidated wealth, hell even allow some interesting flavour or room for subtle tips - just don't mess too much with it - a $ must always be a $ and there must always be a means to convert everything into that unyielding representation of a $.
Oh, I never say "It'll cost you 6 gold pieces" or whatever - that's annoying. It's always "That armor will cost you $480" and move on. I'm very pointedly running a more serious Dungeon Fantasy campaign then the series presents. My players are asking for this stuff - and I'm obliging. I've got a idea, I just want to see where other folks have gone.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

My usual monetary units are a copper coin the size of a U.S. quarter dollar being $1, a silver coin the size of a penny being $5, and a gold coin the size of a dime being $100. The copper coin is called a "Buck" because it has the image of a buck stamped on it (a buck of what animal varies from city state to city state), the silver coin is called a "Finn" because if has something with a fin on it (often a dolphin, sometimes a shark, sometimes something else). I don't have a catchy name for the gold pieces yet.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
Dwarf99

In addition to the standard assumptions $1/$4/$80, I assume base coins are 100/lb, so gold and silver coins are about 40% pure. A sovereign is made of platinum (which is worth 30K/lb in my game) but is slightly more pure. It is worth $150 and is 50% pure. I also have a Pound coin worth a pound of pure silver, made from 40% gold that weighs 2 ounces.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
In addition to the standard assumptions $1/$4/$80, I assume base coins are 100/lb, so gold and silver coins are about 40% pure. A sovereign is made of platinum (which is worth 30K/lb in my game) but is slightly more pure. It is worth $150 and is 50% pure. I also have a Pound coin worth a pound of pure silver, made from 40% gold that weighs 2 ounces.
That's some heavily debased coinage you've got there.

Personally, my fantasy is not dungeon fantasy, but as my setting is heavily influenced by Elizabethan England, I follow their lead and use sterling silver for almost all of my coinage.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
Gedrin

I've been running the same fantasy world for a long time and I just use 1/10/100/1000 coinage, with coins being handwaved to different sizes. Usually, denominations will be described and named when I do worldbuilding. Most treasure found isn't in the form of coins, usually valuable goods and objects, and this adds enough spice for my players. Using more complicated denominations has never added enough to the game to justify the trouble. The only time I really bother with money changing or the like is to indicate the level of order and economic control in an area, or to indicate a perception of corruption in a nation (sure it's a silver, but it's from <nation with debased coinage/>).
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
That's some heavily debased coinage you've got there.
Nah, it's mainly because I prefer 100 coins to a pound over 250.
100 to a lb is ~4.5 grams
US coins
cent: 2.5 grams
nickel: 5 grams
dime: 2.27 grams
quarter: 5.67 grams

100% of the appropriate metal would result in coins weighing less than a dime. That's ok I suppose.

Last edited by Dwarf99; 11-16-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Naturally, this all depends on your players. Once upon a time, I experimented with currency systems resembling historical ones: multiple sizes of coin per type of metal, non-decimal conversions (like the 12/20/1 ratio of d/s/l), and the like. Did not go over well. My players just wanted to know how much money they have and whether or not carrying it is an issue. This wasn't a question of "seriousness" so much as whether or not the drudgery of doing currency conversion is made up for by the color it adds. For my players, the answer was a big no.

What I've done from time to time since then isn't to come up with coherent systems so much as mention colorful details. For example, a goblin might have a pouch of coins worth $100, most of which are crudely stamped silver and a smattering of billon coins minted by the Duke of Earl. All the accounting happens off stage, and the players are left with painless and shiny descriptions.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
The title says it all. I'm wondering what sort of currency systems you've used in your campaigns, created, etc. for Dungeon Fantasy.
I'm bog-standard. Because I got a table that gives me details, I did come up with what's on the coin faces, but that's just a little detail for when players ask.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, money