Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Ailluminus

Default Create Plant and Herb Lore

I can't find a quick answer to this simple question:

A character can use the Create Plant spell from GURPS Magic to, well, bring forth vegetation, with cost depending on whether it's grasses, bushes or trees. Can the mage dictate 'which' types of vegetation will come forth? For example, a mage seeking an herb to defeat an illness could use Create Plant to conjure up healing plants to brew into a tea or whatever?

Would the answer to that question change if my character had seeds to plant beforehand?

To describe this further, I'm hoping to take the Fungus College from Plant Magic to create a Fungimentalist for Dungeon Fantasy, and I'd love to use Create Fungus to conjure up specific mushrooms and molds to attack and defend against monsters, turning the weapons of the dungeon against itself.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Ailluminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Create Plant and Herb Lore

Having a sample such as seeds usually helps in my games.
But for rare plants I would likely assess a skill penalty that the seeds could offset. But a really powerful/rare or valuable plant may have further restrictions, especially magical plants.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Phantasm

Since common tree slime and mold are types of fungi, is it possible to use Create Fungus to bring the various types of Oozes from DF Monsters 2 into being?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
Ailluminus

I can absolutely see a skill penalty.

As to Oozes, I think maybe. The amazing goo monsters in the Icky Goo book are a major inspiration for the Fungimentalist, whom will spend a lot of time as a Body of Slime, but that might be a high bar, equivalent to creating an Animal... which is not unattainable, but might requires a new spell.

But it seems like the consensus is that the mage chooses the vegetation created with Create Plant, is that right? Any dissenting voices?

Thanks.
Ailluminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailluminus View Post
But it seems like the consensus is that the mage chooses the vegetation created with Create Plant, is that right? Any dissenting voices?
All Create spells are somewhat problematic because of the lack of a good way to link spell energy (or other) cost to cash value. If you allow spell casters to create any plant, be prepared for them getting rich by creating valuable ones. In this case, where you are thinking about allowing plants with supernatural capabilities, you also need to be a little concerned about the spell being able to duplicate more expensive magical effects on the cheap. If you allow wizards to conjure any (kind of thing) you need to be careful about the powers you allow (kinds of things) to have anywhere else. Create Plant lets you pick anything means you need to be careful not have any Wishing Trees anywhere in the setting.

You'll sometimes see efforts to dodge some of that by requiring the spell to create generic magical versions of the whatever that are defined as having *zero* cash value, but it doesn't work all that well. I suspect the key thing to make creation spells work is to have an understanding with the *players* that they will not use them to do game breaking out of genre stuff like that even when the spell as written clearly ought to be capable of them.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailluminus View Post
I can't find a quick answer to this simple question:

A character can use the Create Plant spell from GURPS Magic to, well, bring forth vegetation, with cost depending on whether it's grasses, bushes or trees. Can the mage dictate 'which' types of vegetation will come forth? For example, a mage seeking an herb to defeat an illness could use Create Plant to conjure up healing plants to brew into a tea or whatever?

I'm pretty sure the vegetation you get is generic.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

What does that even mean? You can't conjure up willow and its bark for a headache, because it has a medicinal use? Or all the highly toxic plants?
Or the very useful aloe?
Generic vegetation is like saying generic animal. Nearly every person in the room would likely picture something different.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Perhaps the plants are native to the area, and common. The caster has some control over if trees, bushes, flowers, or grass grows, but the magic is essentially using nearby plants and seeds as a template for what its creating. Rare plants are unlikely to show up. This method emphasizes harmony with nature.

That's just one solution, appropriate for certain kinds of casters.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Perhaps the plants are native to the area, and common. The caster has some control over if trees, bushes, flowers, or grass grows, but the magic is essentially using nearby plants and seeds as a template for what its creating. Rare plants are unlikely to show up. This method emphasizes harmony with nature.

That's just one solution, appropriate for certain kinds of casters.
Ooh, I think I could easily buy that in a game. Slightly touching on MtA and "paradox" or tao.
But native or merely extant could still matter. Invasive species are sometimes useful and sometimes scourges out-competing more valuable natives.
Here in Oregon, nutria increase in numbers while beavers decrease. Invasive blackberries choke out native plants.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Jefepato

Huh. I had kind of assumed that the caster could pretty much create the plants they wanted, but it's true that the spell doesn't say so. (The herbalist character I've been working on will be so disappointed.)

Of course, if you can get your hands on any seeds, Plant Growth will get you what you want soon enough, right? (Bless Plants and Essential Earth are helpful as well.)
Jefepato is offline   Reply With Quote