Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Character Builder

Old 02-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Ryan Macklin

Default Re: Those who WANT to stay with GCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdog
I swear within a week of the release of 4th edition Lite I saw a half-dozen people saying they were working on GCB compatability for it. Did they all give up? Or did none of them choose to submit it?
C. Lee Davis and myself have been working since day one on Lite (and then Basic), and waiting patiently for word that it was something we could release. Now we have that word. We're still working on it, though. (Working on such a project while holding down day jobs, dealing with life, and gaming as well, makes such a project slow-going). We're very far along, but I won't get into any more specifics than that, since I don't want to let anyone down by promising a timeframe we can't deliver (since we are doing this for free, after all).
Ryan Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:56 PM   #12
jspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
Okay, that's not quite correct.

Until a couple of days ago, I had no idea this question was still out there. Thought it was settled, quite conclusively, months ago. Apparently there's been a great deal of stressing among people who want to do 4th edition templates for GCB. As far as I can see, nobody ever told them no, but somebody involved in the effort tried to turn this into a Game Aids license thing, which it isn't, and isn't going to be, and it's not the Game Aids coordinator's job to deal with templates or their creators.
I was the one who took it to the Game Aids coordinator, based on a misunderstood communication in PyraMOO. I seem to make a habit of directing my questions to the wrong person at SJG. Nobody ever told me no, they just told me they couldn't tell me yes yet.

Quote:
(2) If it is possible to create 4e templates for GCB, we are happy that there are those who want to do it, and we have no desire to exercise any more control over the creation and distribution of such templates than we do over other GCB templates. Fans are welcome to create GCB templates and to host online collections of templates, provided the provisions of our Online Policy are followed. We ask that no one post a template unless they are willing to have it hosted in others' collections, and we ask that those who host collections have the courtesy to credit the original creators.
That is outstandingly good news. The FGS and GURPS Project Mayhem have been working on this for months. Contrary to an earlier poster's thoughts, it took us a couple of months (working from pre-ordered Deluxe Editions, until mid-January) to get the core working, and we're still entering some of the data from CHARACTERS. Now that we have this from you, we are working to move to a public beta test.

Thank you, Steve, for dealing with this as soon as you became aware of it. And thanks for letting us play in your sandbox.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:58 AM   #13
Southern Cross

And thanks from me.The irony of having to get a new character creation program for GURPS AFTER I PAID FOR THE OFFICIAL 3E PROGRAM is getting to me especially as the GCA seems (for me at least) to be harder to use than the GCB it is replacing.

Last edited by Southern Cross; 02-24-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #14
Devin

Quote:
(2) If it is possible to create 4e templates for GCB, we are happy that there are those who want to do it, and we have no desire to exercise any more control over the creation and distribution of such templates than we do over other GCB templates. Fans are welcome to create GCB templates and to host online collections of templates, provided the provisions of our Online Policy are followed. We ask that no one post a template unless they are willing to have it hosted in others' collections, and we ask that those who host collections have the courtesy to credit the original creators.
A point of clarification that has already come up: when Steve says "templates" here he does not mean that one can take character or racial templates that are published in any SJ Games sourcebook (print or electronic) and publish them separately to the Internet. He is referring to fan-created GCB data-sheets, including those that are unofficial adaptations of GURPS sourcebooks.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
jspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin
Steve says "templates" here he does not mean that one can take character or racial templates that are published in any SJ Games sourcebook (print or electronic) and publish them separately to the Internet.
To be clear, Devin -- are we permitted to include in fan-created GCB file the functionality to build a character from a published template without the user having the published template in hand? This would necessarilly include the information in the template, though in a rather different format.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #16
adm

Sorry, I haven't been here in several days, due to real life stuff.

I want to thank Steve Jackson for taking the time to respond here, and I am very pleased to hear that we should be seeing some form of update for GCB.

Thank you very much.

adm
Old 02-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspade
To be clear, Devin -- are we permitted to include in fan-created GCB file the functionality to build a character from a published template without the user having the published template in hand? This would necessarilly include the information in the template, though in a rather different format.
I have no reason to believe that you would in any way run into trouble by doing a fan-created data sheet for an official GURPS supplement and including all of the templates (character and racial) in that supplement. The overloading of the word "templates" (thank you SO much, GCB) is fraught with peril.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #18
angel_lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross
And thanks from me.The irony of having to get a new character creation program for GURPS AFTER I PAID FOR THE OFFICIAL 3E PROGRAM is getting to me especially as the GCA seems (for me at least) to be harder to use than the GCB it is replacing.

I'd be curious to know how. I bought GCB when it came out as the official character creation software, but was very disappointed with everything but the print options (I love being able to print books of NPC's witht he same format as SJG GURPS books). I've also used GCA and will be switching as soon as the official version comes out. It seems to me that point and click plus drag and drop makes character creation easy, but you seem to have a different view. Just curious to know what difficulties you are finding. It helps to have a broad number of view points when making program recommendations.

Last edited by angel_lord; 02-28-2005 at 11:37 AM.
angel_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #19
TheDS

[dumb question] I would just like to know when to expect to see GCA4 available (assuming that I'm reading correctly and that's the official G4 proggy). [/dumb question]

Visit (and LIKE) the new More in Sanity page at:
www.facebook.com/moreinsanity
TheDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #20
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDS
[dumb question] I would just like to know when to expect to see GCA4 available (assuming that I'm reading correctly and that's the official G4 proggy). [/dumb question]
Looks like May.

http://www.sjgames.com/newproducts/newrel.html?m=4&y=5
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote