Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Warrior (Martial Arts) template - Option Page #6 - cannot increase skills

Tested with both sword-and-shield and longsword style. All seems to work properly until option page #6 comes up, where skills for the style are purchased. Purchasing a skill results in a skill that has no up or down buttons, and so cannot be increased or decreased. Adding an "_increase skill %name" from the left-hand panel does nothing.

In short, there does not seem to be any way to actually increase (or decrease) the skill levels purchased here. Since a minimum of 20 points must be purchased, this is problematic.

Windows 10
Installer, update, and data files from 2017_10_22 (YYYY_MM_DD)
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:05 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Warrior (Martial Arts) template - Option Page #6 - cannot increase skills

Is the list showing "_increase skill %name" or is it showing an actual skill name there, such as "_increase skill Broadsword" ?

I'm not seeing any issues with the template. These templates take advantage of some features that require that the character is fully updated; if this is an existing character, or if you changed the data files after the character was created, make sure to Resynchronize the character before selecting the template.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: Warrior (Martial Arts) template - Option Page #6 - cannot increase skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Is the list showing "_increase skill %name" or is it showing an actual skill name there, such as "_increase skill Broadsword" ?

I'm not seeing any issues with the template. These templates take advantage of some features that require that the character is fully updated; if this is an existing character, or if you changed the data files after the character was created, make sure to Resynchronize the character before selecting the template.
The latter.

Both test characters were entirely new, and had had nothing else added to them.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
ericbsmith

I'm not sure your level of familiarity with GCA, so lets start with the basics. Once you've added the skill you'll need select it in the right-hand panel (it is showing up there, right)? Once you've selected it the up/down button should be active in the lower-right of the selection sub-window.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Say, it isn't that bad!

Ok, starting up GCA. New character, 100 base character points, -50 disadvantage points, 5 quirks, tech level 3. Going to note down everything I do here, for testing.

Go to Templates tab from tabs on the bottom of the window. Double-click on Warrior (Martial Arts). It's 100 points, so it should fit exactly, and I want to see what kind of skill level a 100-point warrior would have.

A window pops open called Martial Arts Styles. I double-click "Longsword Fighting, 4". Then I click "Ok".

Next page is "Choose the Tech Level". I put a check-mark next to "TL0-3". Then I click "Ok".

Next page is "Hand-to-Hand Combat Instructor options". There's already a check-mark next to "_No Lens", so I click "Ok".

Next page is "Military Lens Options". There's already a check-mark next to "_No Lens", so I click "Ok".

Next the computer thinks for a bit.

The next page is "Select Items". It's a page where I can select a language for "Character 1". I double-click "English". It adds "English (Native) (Native Language -6)", so I click "Ok".

A similiar page, except for Cultural Familiarity. I double-click "Western (Native)". It adds "Western (Native)". I click "Ok".

Next page is also named "Select Items", and lists advantages. I choose "Enhanced Block", "Enhanced Parry (Two-Handed Sword)", and "High Pain Threshold". I accidentally add Hard To Kill, then remove it. I click "Ok".

The next "Select Items" page lists disadvantages. I choose
Code of Honor (Chivalry)", "Duty (Unit)", and "Intolerance (Peasants)". I click "Ok".

The next "Select Items" page lists additional disadvantages. I choose "Greed". I click "Ok".

The next page is the problematic one. I have no idea why I thought it was "Options Page #6"; perhaps an error message. I was quite tired. It lists combat skills, and states that I must include "Brawling", "Judo", "Knife", and "Two-Handed Sword". I double-click "Brawling", then "Judo", "Knife", and lastly "Two-Handed Sword" on the left-hand pane. This adds the chosen skills to the right-hand pane.
I then double-click on "Brawling". This opens a skill window. Normally, in a skill window, there are up and down arrows on the "level" and "points" row. These are missing. I click the "Ok" button to close the skill window.

I make sure that "Brawling" is select. Following the general idea in your post, I click the "up" arrow next to the "edit" button on the bottom of the pop-up window.

I once again affirm that I should get proper sleep before attempting new or complex tasks.

Sorry about that; turns out, the PEBKAC.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
The next page is the problematic one. I have no idea why I thought it was "Options Page #6"; perhaps an error message. I was quite tired.
It *IS* the 6th Trait Selection Window, even if it isn't the sixth time you have to make a choice with the template.

Quote:
I then double-click on "Brawling". This opens a skill window. Normally, in a skill window, there are up and down arrows on the "level" and "points" row. These are missing. I click the "Ok" button to close the skill window.
To be sure, in the pop-up Edit window it is an issue that you can't properly edit the skill. A minor issue, since you can adjust it in the main window, but an issue none-the-less.

Quote:
I make sure that "Brawling" is select. Following the general idea in your post, I click the "up" arrow next to the "edit" button on the bottom of the pop-up window.

I once again affirm that I should get proper sleep before attempting new or complex tasks.

Sorry about that; turns out, the PEBKAC.
Not a problem. I'm glad it's working correctly and you see what you need to do now to get it to work as expected.
Kaboom-baya.