Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #71
acrosome

Default Re: Some questions about the Soldier skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
No Savoir-Faire (Military)? Why?
Because, IMHO, most new recruits wouldn't have it. They would be using Soldier skill to cover routine uses of Savoir-Fair (Military) that would get a +4, such as knowing when to salute, wearing the uniform correctly, identifying patches, etc. That's sort of my whole point.

This is not RAW.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #72
Mithlas

For my part, I favor throwing out Savoir-Fair entirely and replacing it with a relevant category knowledge or profession skill (because you're not a great investment banker if you don't know how to navigate the socioeconomic channels, you're not a practiced soldier if you don't know how to interact with enlisted and behave around officers). I'd just fold that into Soldier.

Is it true that a fresh recruit who hasn't started training might not know the ins and outs of interaction with the military hierarchy? Possibly, but it's not possible for them to graduate without learning anything about it.
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #73
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
For my part, I favor throwing out Savoir-Fair entirely and replacing it with a relevant category knowledge or profession skill (because you're not a great investment banker if you don't know how to navigate the socioeconomic channels, you're not a practiced soldier if you don't know how to interact with enlisted and behave around officers). I'd just fold that into Soldier.

Is it true that a fresh recruit who hasn't started training might not know the ins and outs of interaction with the military hierarchy? Possibly, but it's not possible for them to graduate without learning anything about it.
Orde Wingate had absolutely no Savoir Faire of any kind(psychologists today would likely diagnose him strongly disordered). He pretty obviously had soldier skill(he could survive and indeed thrive on battlefields and didn't need much in the way of luxury even by the standards of soldiers), and had large amounts of Tactics: Guerilla. Controversy around him stems from latter times when he had lost a lot of men using a theory that proved sound enough for Slim to use on a larger scale once bells and whistles were worked out but which he did not have the management skills to pull off. When working with small unit engagements in Ethiopia, Palestine, and hunting Sudanese slavers he was a virtuoso. Basically he was an excellent commando but no general.

The point in all of this is it is possible to posit a skillful soldier who has no savoir faire. Those kind of guys make the movies because they are so colorful and they often are quite good at actual warfare but are poor at navigating military establishments.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #74
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

The description of Savoir-Faire (Military) from Characters:
The customs, traditions, and regulations of military service. This also includes knowledge of the unwritten rules: what is acceptable even if not regulation, and what is forbidden although there is nothing in writing against it.

It looks like it'd be hard to function or get promoted without having this skill.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #75
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
It looks like it'd be hard to function or get promoted without having this skill.
For staff ranks, maybe, but junior enlisted and officers probably do get by on Soldier.

I know how to wear a enlisted uniform, how to salute and when, and a few other things that are covered. I wouldn't know how to seat people at a staff dinner, or how to meet with an allied general or how to accept the surrender of a foreign army. I definitely couldn't do any of those things in a way that positively influences anybody.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #76
David Johnston2

Quote:
The description of Savoir-Faire (Military) from Characters:
The customs, traditions, and regulations of military service. This also includes knowledge of the unwritten rules: what is acceptable even if not regulation, and what is forbidden although there is nothing in writing against it.

It looks like something that should in fact be covered by Soldier. I mean what does Soldier do anyway?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #77
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It looks like something that should in fact be covered by Soldier. I mean what does Soldier do anyway?
There are a number of very practical uses in Tactical Shooting.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #78
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There are a number of very practical uses in Tactical Shooting.
I just reread my copy. I am unable to find any of them. Or indeed a single mention of the skill.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #79
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I just reread my copy. I am unable to find any of them. Or indeed a single mention of the skill.
  • p. 11 Per-Based roll for Situational Awareness.
  • p. 18 roll at +2 to apply night combat field-craft
  • p. 21 roll to use hand signals for basic tactics.
  • p. 24 Per-based roll to notice an opponent in MOUT.
  • p. 28 roll to recognize significant cover in your vicinity.
  • p. 28 roll at -2 to silence your gear.
  • p. 28 roll at -2 to avoid substances that can be easily smelled.
  • p. 34 Will-Based roll for Cool Under Fire fright checks.
  • p. 35 HT-Based roll to avoid effects of post-combat stress.
  • p. 37 Style Familarity in a shooting style gives +3 to rolls to coordinate with fellow stylists.
  • p. 37 Roll at -5 to join in a battle drill for which you lack the perk.
  • p. 47-52 Optional Skill for all styles (other than Practical Sports Shooting); six instances.
  • p. 78 roll to avoid being fooled by tracer loads.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #80
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
For the basics, yes. But there are further levels. When it comes to giving due deference, someone with Soldier will know "This guy is a colonel." Someone with Savoir Faire (Military) will know "This guy has the ear of the committee that will be reviewing promotion recommendations."

Civilian Professional Skills also cover how to make the balance book come out right at the end of the month, but that doesn't mean the Accounting skill should be eliminated.

Tags
kromm explanation, soldier