Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
ColBosch

Default Re: Two Ogre Books Available On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Thanks for the references!
While I haven't handled any of the POD GURPS books yet, I do know SJ enough to say, with confidence, that he'd never put his name on a poor product. If CreateSpace didn't produce to his exacting standards, the experiment would've ended a long time ago.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
While I haven't handled any of the POD GURPS books yet, I do know SJ enough to say, with confidence, that he'd never put his name on a poor product. If CreateSpace didn't produce to his exacting standards, the experiment would've ended a long time ago.
I wasn't implying anything to the contrary. What I was really looking for was a comparison to the originals; eg, would you be able to tell the difference between them (beyond cosmetic stuff)?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #13
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I wasn't implying anything to the contrary. What I was really looking for was a comparison to the originals; eg, would you be able to tell the difference between them (beyond cosmetic stuff)?
I've conferred with the person who checks the CreateSpace printings (who often compares them with their originals), and here's what we've come up with:

If you had a CreateSpace edition side by side with the original printing, you may well notice subtle differences: slightly different texture of paper, slightly different stiffness of cover, etc. Some of this is just due to variances in printed products, and some of it is comparing books that were printed 15+ years ago with modern ones. You might even notice some slightly more significant changes: For example, CreateSpace versions have an extra page (because of the necessity to put printing and tracking info into the book). It's also feasible that margins might be slightly altered in some cases. I believe that most CreateSpace offerings are 1/8" taller and wider than their original counterparts, owing to these margin differences. (Fans of GURPS books have already encountered this with past books; looking at my own shelf, there's variance all the time between various original non-CreateSpace printings of books.)

Perhaps the biggest "cosmetic" change is to the cover of GURPS Illuminati, which originally had a black-on-black spot varnish to create "hidden" words on the cover; this was replicated with different black-level gradients of standard ink.

However, none of that should deter from the content of the book, which we've taken from the original digital files used to create these books (before we implemented any known errata).

So, if the question is, "Would someone be able to tell that this wasn't a printing of the book from a decade ago?" The answer is, "Almost certainly"; between an updated copyright date, the extra page, and other details, it's not difficult to ascertain its origin.

If the question is, "Will these editions stick out like sore thumbs among my existing books from SJ Games?" I suspect the answer is, "Almost certainly not." For one thing, we used multiple printers for our runs of books back in the old days, so there was always slight variance between books regardless. And — where it "matters" — we've taken steps to ensure that these books are as close as possible to what we've offered in the past: books that had attractive gradient shading should still have that, cover colors should be pretty true to the originals, and so on. And if anything is askew, please let Amazon (or us) know! Misprints happen, and — in my experience — Amazon is usually great about fixing those problems.

Does that answer the question?
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I will say, from having seen these books at the office, that there is likely to be one VERY noticeable difference. Amazon's printing process doesn't have nearly as much "live area" on the spine, so the book titles on the Createspace spines are considerably smaller than they were on the earlier versions of the books.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Does that answer the question?
Yes, it does.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #16
voodoo54

Do we know when the Ogre scenario books will be available on Amazon yet?
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
Do we know when the Ogre scenario books will be available on Amazon yet?
We've not finalized a date.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote