Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #11
swordtart

Default Re: Midville maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I've always been a big fan of the "Flaming Idiots" scenario; that one never took much longer than an ordinary arena duel, even with the "police involvement" option. "Crusaders" can be a bit long, if the Cyclist player tries to use conventional tactics; mine usually involved FOGs en-masse to score points for property destruction (how many MONDOs have fire extinguishers?). Now, if one wants a stone-cold nightmare of a scenario, try "Nightsword" with "O'Sea is at home"....
I always assumed that buildings were fireproof by default (unless you got inside one), after all the road doesn't take damage from incendiary weapons.

I found regular arena duels lasted 10-15 seconds and 4-6 hours to resolve them. That was in the days of 10 phase movement though. We also used "normal" cars rather than eggshells armed with hammers so it took a good few hits to start having an effect (and often devolved into a few cars pivoting at 5 whilst other cars were bombing round at 40-60).

If we had stuck at it we could have got more efficient, but we usually had a high turn over of players because it all "took too long".

To be fair we probably spent an hour just correcting designs.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Don't Midville games tend to be all day marathons? I've only ever done one, and it lasted well over six hours.
I played one which lasted maybe five minutes.

It was a handful of cars vs. a motorcycle gang. The cycle gang player, who had clearly miscalculated, sent the cycles into town in a close formation at high speed and started to send them in a tight turn around a corner.

Then he spectacularly failed a control roll. The first cycle swerved out of control and clipped the cycle next to it. Which failed a control roll and hit another cycle. And so on. The resulting cascade took down about half the gang and pretty much ended the game.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Then he spectacularly failed a control roll. The first cycle swerved out of control and clipped the cycle next to it. Which failed a control roll and hit another cycle. And so on. The resulting cascade took down about half the gang and pretty much ended the game.
We had one guy in our group who could design vehicles like nobody's business, but this describes most of his duels. Roll and burn at 30mph right out of the gate, that kind of thing.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #14
43Supporter

I have a "street" race course which uses all six Midville maps; unless one is using Real Racing Designs, it takes a while.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
Tom H.

Quote:
I played one which lasted maybe five minutes.
Fun story.

Quote:
The cycle gang player, who had clearly miscalculated, . . .
Or not . . . maybe he just wanted to get to Axis & Allies. ;-)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
We had one guy in our group who could design vehicles like nobody's business, but this describes most of his duels. Roll and burn at 30mph right out of the gate, that kind of thing.
Sounds like my luck.

Then again, I would opt for a van so that I could bring 4 recoilless rifles to bear forward.

Being less experienced with probability back then, I didn't appreciate the non-linear effects of rolling low on two dice. To-hit 7 just doesn't cut it as well, especially when I couldn't afford 2 hi-res computers.

The story of the 2 computers.

I was more anal retentive in those days, and used to fret about whether the rules intended aimed linking to only apply to two weapons at a time. So just to be beyond reproach, I would throw in a gunner to operate the second pair of RRs. Two combatants require more computers.

Now of course, give me the extra armor over that gunner any day.

My nemesis approached design far differently. Fast sports cars with an autocannon. Of course, he never rolled poorly on the crash table . . . ;-)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Of course, he never rolled poorly on the crash table . . . ;-)
Uh... huh. Sounds a bit like the Omnicidal Maniac in NOVA when I was there -- I have a hard time remembering him ever missing a control or To-Hit roll, even when it was "roll max, or die".

He seemed somewhat provoked when he went to the bathroom one day, and came back to find all his dice in a Dixie cup....

[Look, Innocent, 1 ea.]

79er

Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
Warphead's Battlewaggon

City Blocks arranged in a long rectangle can be good for street racing. Inner dangerous route with sharper turns and safer clearer way for the more conservative racers.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warphead's Battlewaggon View Post
City Blocks arranged in a long rectangle can be good for street racing. Inner dangerous route with sharper turns and safer clearer way for the more conservative racers.
I'll be honest: I preferred Autoventures' _The Road_, which put the road in the middle of the sheet rather than the building; it made holding the track together far easier.

79er