Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #51
Leonidas
Banned

Default Re: OGRE IN ITALY

++++++++++++++

intercepted transmission from Tarantuolus Prime from low orbit satellite KS- 07

Astral Date: 2800 AD

Six squads of Mobile Infantry successfully landed on the planet surface to investigate the alien threat.

1.00 Global Astral Time
- Command, this is Leonidas reporting. Resistance is minimum, we advance forward to some columns. They look like nests of solidified mud and are oozing green slime. They are probably 40 Astral Units tall, or so. Proceed with caution.

2.00 Global Astral Time
- Command, we are facing major resistance. The bugs dug some tunnels and are pouring out from the surface all around us. All squads regroup to Alpha Bravo quadrant. Cover fire.

2.15 Global Astral Time
- Command, two squads down! The Xenos are covering us with acid and our armors are melting. Scanning and targeting systems are jammed --- never had such bad luck with dice, MI probably panicked ----. We have to rely on eyesight to acquire a target.

3.45 Global Astral Time
- Command, we made it to the first nest and obliterated it. Now the Bugs are firing some artillery with organic bombs. We are under fire! We require immediate support. Send the shuttle now! Squads regroup to Charlie Echo and prepare for extraction!

- Command, we are safe. The Xeons are a formidable enemy. We lost 70% of our striking forces. This was our doomsday.

++++++++++++++

I playtested the first Tarantuloid scenario. I cannot comment how cool is that, and how grateful I am to the creator. I glued the counters on cardboard and then cut them. The result was satisfactory and pretty usable. They do not look as neat as the classic counters, but they do not disfigure that much in comparison. Arachnids...ehm Tarantuloids are tough indeed, and the whole thing is pretty thematic. I loved the drop of the Mobile Infantry, and the reinforcements table. Pretty good mechanic, and make the whole game extremely cinematic. A sponsored counter sheet would be awesome.

Leonidas

P.S. I also tried the Dogpile scenario. Incredibly fun, and quick.

P.P.S. My brother fiancè stopped by the house. We tried the Mk III attack on the CP. I helped her and inevitably lost. I guess she passed the family test.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #52
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Glad you liked!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #53
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I playtested the first Tarantuloid scenario. I cannot comment how cool is that, and how grateful I am to the creator.

<snip>

Leonidas

P.S. I also tried the Dogpile scenario. Incredibly fun, and quick.

P.P.S. My brother fiancè stopped by the house. We tried the Mk III attack on the CP. I helped her and inevitably lost. I guess she passed the family test.
You have absolutely made my night!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #54
Leonidas
Banned

intercepted transmission following.

++++++++++++
Greetings intergalactic folks! This is John Macknamara, and you are listening to Spacesports360, the one and only radio broadcasting 360 astral units per cycle.

Aaannd weelllcome to the Ogrelympics!!!!

Two humungous battle tanks fighting for survival to reach the finish line, but only the most determined, the most skilled, and the nastier robot will make it to the end.

At the finish line, we have some spice for you, guys. The two iant tanks will not get any refreshments, but a full army of 14 units and 24 infantry awaits Vici and I-GV to give them a warm and radioactive welcome.

Will they make it? Will it make it? Who will win?

Choose your own champion and start betting!

3....2.....1.....GO!

The 2 ogres start running, achieving maximum speed very quickly.

I-GV is zooming very fast. 5 heavy tanks are rushing towards it, hoping to slow the terrifying run of the cybernetic monster.

I-GV fires and a full salvo of missiles totally obliterates the 5 heavy tanks, leaving nothing but radioactive dust.

Meanwhile, Vici is closing in, and fires a salvo of missiles directly to I-GV threads, impairing its movement. What a blast!!! The 5 heavy tanks were a bait, and I-GV just ate it!

Now the two Ogres, are firing their batteries at each other threads.

I-GV has stopped! It cannot proceed forward! What a match, what will happen now?

Up to the north, the Combines forces are fighting fiercely against a Paneuropeans, but no one is gaining any major a tactical advantage.

Wait!

A Combine detachment made of GEVs, missile and heavy tanks, is rushing towards Vinci which has reached I-GV, but it looks much slower.

Incredible! Vinci blasts some armor but the Combine forces manage to stop it! Nobody can win at this juncture, both Ogres have been stopped!

This was a very exciting race, people. I hope you enjoyed as I did.

Do not forget to check our sponsored products.

Until the next race, folks!

Stay tuned on Spacesports360. All the sport anywhere, everywhere! Remember to subscribe our fidelity program and get discounts.

Goodbye from John Macknamara. The best of the best, and only for you.

++++++++++++

OK, this was something really awesome. Gamewise, Ogrelympics is extremely fun. The game mechanics work very well, as always.

The race is quite exciting, indeed. Has anyone tried it yet?

Last edited by Leonidas; 02-21-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #55
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Ogrelympics is extremely fun.
It is, indeed, isn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed it!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:19 AM   #56
Leonidas
Banned

+++++++++++++
Leonidas reporting

Our automated factories have sent new models for the frontline. These models are nicknamed “Ogre miniatures Set 1”, and are ready to pour liquid fire to other enemy models nicknamed “Ogre miniatures set 1 (reverse colors).

For some inexplicable reasons, our new targeting system glows in the dark now, and similarly even the enemy’s targeting system seems suffering from the same issue.

Our mission was simple. Destroy the enemy HQ, while protecting ours. I believe the enemy had the very same orders.

Ogres Mk III were rushing, ramming, overrunning. Armors git 90% destroyed on both sides, and finally our Squads managed to take the enemy’s HQ.

++++++++++++

I got to say that I was extremely skeptical about the minis. First of all, i thought that the lack of unit info’s could have slowed down the game-flow. I am glad it didn’t.
I handed out some counters to my Ogre buddy as reference. It worked perfectly.

We agreed on no stacking rules. In the end, I believe that tacking may be used by placing counters under the minis. However, we wanted a full mini try on a GEV map.

The more we used the minis, the more we liked the impact on the map. The minis are nice to touch and move. Although regular counters are awesome, the minis do not jeopardize the sharpness of vectorial graphics Ogre offers.

The Ogres as minis are impressive. No questions. I am not sure if SJG will ever be able to cover all the Ogre marks with a correspondent mini, but an Ogre mini on the table looks incredibly cool.

The infantries are extremely cool too. The squads looks awesome, for example, while traversing woods or in the cities. This adds a lot to the game. Little soldiers that make the difference seems pretty epic. Not easy to assemble, well...extremely painful to assemble, I should say. Our fingers are sill hurting. However, infantry looks cool and that’s it.

The Command Posts are perfect. Some tiny pieces were hard to assemble, but I managed it.

The Heavy Tanks, GEV and Missile Tanks are perfect. Howitzers can actually turn their cannon if you do not glue them (same for Heavy Tanks too).

In the end, it worked perfectly. It looked great. This miniatures are a big value for not so much money. I am also very proud of my Ogre black polo shirt, by the way.

Great work guys, great work. I am glad I have them, and I will get mini set 2 as soon as it will be available on sale at the warehouse. As an international backer, I did not buy the mini set 2, as I wanted to check how set 1 looked on the map before ordering new stuff.

The glowing dice rolled fairly well. I am super-happy I have one for both sides.

This game is great, the minis are great. Thanks for sorting out the shipping issue for us Paneuropean!

Leonidas
Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 AM   #57
Leonidas
Banned

IA log extracted from Ogre Mk V Belmus during maintenance operations at automated factory 003.

=============
Approaching enemy command post. My LRS indicate strong enemy resistance ahead.

Beginning standard firing routine with LRMs. Five enemy units terminated. No human survivor.

LRMs took damage. Long range combat effectiveness reduced to 95%. Going forward.

Connecting to subroutine X-99. Codename Doomsday.

Cruise missiles armed and ready to fire. Targeting enemy GEVs.
Four GEVs destroyed. No human survivor.

Creating a path line to enemy Command Post. Targeting Heavy Tanks and Infantry.

Three Cruise Missiles intercepted by enemy auto defense system.

Main battery lost. Offensive power reduced to 85%. Switching to auxiliary targeting system.

Fifth Cruise Missile away. Auto-detonation procedure activated.

Pathway cleared. Finishing enemy remain force.

Enemy Command Post destroyed.

No human survivor detected.

Re-entry routine to auto-factory 003 activated. Estimated Time of Arrival 356 hours, 15 minutes, 23 seconds.
=============

I tried the Mk V with 20 CM scenario. Very fun. Although, the Mk V is almost unstoppable. I managed to stop it rarely and in solo play in the standard scenario.

I also played a standard scenario (smash the CP) with another old friend of mine. He liked it, and he is looking forward to play GEV now.

Ogre is the perfect game!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #58
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Your posts are endless creativity. Keep them coming. :-)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #59
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Your posts are endless creativity. Keep them coming. :-)
Indeed. I follow this thread closely. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
ColBosch

Thirded! Always a joy to see new posts in this thread.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote