Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #11
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Infantry Power?

It is interesting to ponder though...it is often mentioned in the Infantries fluff that "those Battlesuits are expensive to make" for example. It only makes sense this high cost would also include their weapon loadouts.

So why didn't they equip Infantry type weapons/ammo on other units or OGREs?..."those Battlesuits (and weapons) are expensive to make"...that's why. And a Attack Strength of 1 is actually an entire squad of Infantry essentially Combining their attacks to get the 1 Attack Strength attack.

The only time I find myself saying, hmm, I'm not so sure is when I see the Squad Leader sporting that Pistol. But even so, aside from a good visual cue to see it's the Squad Leader, it can make sense such a smaller weapon would be effective enough to be worth carrying instead of a Rifle. Maybe the Pistol is equivalent to a next gen Rifle, and we could ask, why aren't all the Squadies equipped with a Pistol, to which the same answer would be ..."those Battlesuits (Pistols) are expensive to make"...that's why.

Like GP mentioned, it really doesn't matter what they are using so much as what it does in the game.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
It is interesting to ponder though...it is often mentioned in the Infantries fluff that "those Battlesuits are expensive to make" for example. It only makes sense this high cost would also include their weapon loadouts.

So why didn't they equip Infantry type weapons/ammo on other units or OGREs?..."those Battlesuits (and weapons) are expensive to make"...that's why. And a Attack Strength of 1 is actually an entire squad of Infantry essentially Combining their attacks to get the 1 Attack Strength attack.

The only time I find myself saying, hmm, I'm not so sure is when I see the Squad Leader sporting that Pistol. But even so, aside from a good visual cue to see it's the Squad Leader, it can make sense such a smaller weapon would be effective enough to be worth carrying instead of a Rifle. Maybe the Pistol is equivalent to a next gen Rifle, and we could ask, why aren't all the Squadies equipped with a Pistol, to which the same answer would be ..."those Battlesuits (Pistols) are expensive to make"...that's why.

Like GP mentioned, it really doesn't matter what they are using so much as what it does in the game.
Well said Sir well said. So I can safely say no official word on what the infantry are using against Ogres.
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 AM   #13
Izzy_B

Personally I always assumed unobtanium based weapons
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #14
alsteel

True, it is fun food for thought. I always pictured the Mobile Infantry Battlesuit from Starship Troopers (the book not that silly movie) as what you would find in the Ogreverse. A seriously heavily armored soldier in a nearly impenetrable, imposing suit that is tougher than any modern tank, gives the wearer superhuman strength, and the leaping, running ability of any superhero. ST describes the suits as allowing the wearer to leap buildings with ease.

The suit would also be outfitted with a dizzying array of weaponry; from a missile launcher with nuclear armed warheads, grenade thrower, and flamer, to rapid firing projectile weapons and lasers. My guess would be the latter for other troops and soft targets and the former for armor and Ogres.

The only thing that really makes sense on the nuclear battlefield is that sort of suit. Non-battlesuited infantry would die in droves from the secondary blasts and radiation alone, which is really all the battlesuit could protect you from anyway. Direct hits?...no way. The suits basic purpose is to allow a soldier to just survive the battlefield environment. Imagine non-battlesuited infantry on a battlefield where nuclear blasts are occurring constantly, background radiation could cook a frozen turkey, and fast moving ACV tanks using rapid firing cannons and intelligent micro-missiles were racing around at 100kph shooting anything that moves! Non-suited infantry wouldn't even be able to CARRY the weapons necessary to be combat effective, let alone move and fight.

... and that's my segway into my feelings on the Militia (MIL) unit... but that's for another discussion. :)
alsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #15
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsteel View Post
... and that's my segway into my feelings on the Militia (MIL) unit... but that's for another discussion. :)
I think there is a place for MIL in the Ogreverse, but I totally agree it's not anywhere near the frontline. And while yes, nukes + MIL = death, I also can see times and places where attacking forces wouldn't (or couldn't!) use nukes - for example, if they're running low and need to save them for when an Ogre does show up, if if they're totally out - see the sidebar of my Pittsburgh article from Ogerzine I for non-nuke rules for just that situation. But yes, militia vs. tier 1 or even tier 2 forces is just suicide.

As for the ST suits - I see them as being a century or two ahead of the Ogre suits, but definitely along the same evolutionary path.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
As for the ST suits - I see them as being a century or two ahead of the Ogre suits, but definitely along the same evolutionary path.
In some ways, the Ogreverse suits might even be more advanced than the ST suits in some ways. Battlesuit depicts them as capable of continuous nap-of-earth to medium altitude flight for at least minutes at a time. ST suits seem to be much more about jet assisted leaps and bounds.

Of course, I wouldn't expect an Ogreverse suit to be drop-able from orbit*, or even a high altitude aircraft - ubiquitous laser towers make that capability unusable. I doubt even ST suits could safely drop into Last War-era Europe.

* Modulo Maxim 11 of the 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries: Everything is airdrop-able at least once. http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wi...ve_Mercenaries
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #17
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Of course, I wouldn't expect an Ogreverse suit to be drop-able from orbit*, or even a high altitude aircraft - ubiquitous laser towers make that capability unusable. I doubt even ST suits could safely drop into Last War-era Europe.
I think the only things likely to reach the ground intact after being airdropped are Ogres. Not that survival is likely once it gets there, but at least it'll take out whatever is nearby on impact :P
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #18
J. Durr

It's worth recalling Datapulse's discussion of infantry and his well-reasoned conclusion that a 1/1 INF counter must represent a single battlesuited man.
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote