Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #31
Racer

Default Re: Unofficial Errata and FAQ List

I'll try to answer them when I've got home & back online in 9 hours . Haven't my books with me at present .

To add to add to your Swerves Question :

4 Do Hard Swerves still exist ? That is a ½" to the side followed by x° Bend as +3 Difficultly Maneuver ? Text & Rules are very ambiguous & been wanting to find out if they're Official or not . We've used them as I described in a very few of our games . It's such s rarity though , either way is fine as it only has minor impact on gameplay .
Old 11-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #32
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJF View Post
Hi. New player here I am in need of a few rule clarifications for Classic Car Wars.

1) For "odd" speeds, it is only the phase you move 1/2" that you cannot maneuver, correct? At first I thought it mean't you couldn't maneuver on turns that you move odd speeds, but that didn't seem right. (Page 7)

2) If you can accelerate during any phase of a turn does it affect the distance you can move for the rest of the phases? For example, if you are going 25 mph and accelerate to 30 mph in phase 4, do you get the 1/2" increase in movement on phase 5 that the new speed allows? (Page 8)

3) A swerve is a 1/4" drift, followed by an angle turn. The example uses a 30 degree bend. Can any degree of bend be used for this maneuver? (Page 13)

That's all for now =) I'm still working my way through the rules, so I'm sure more questions will come up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I'll try to answer them when I've got home & back online in 9 hours . Haven't my books with me at present .

To add to add to your Swerves Question :

4 Do Hard Swerves still exist ? That is a ½" to the side followed by x° Bend as +3 Difficultly Maneuver ? Text & Rules are very ambiguous & been wanting to find out if they're Official or not . We've used them as I described in a very few of our games . It's such s rarity though , either way is fine as it only has minor impact on gameplay .
1. You cannot maneuver when making a half move. That move must be straight ahead. In your case, where you're slated to move one and a half, you can still maneuver during the full move and go straight on the half. (Keep in mind that if you have more than one full move, you can still only maneuver once each phase, the other full moves must be straight, but you can choose which one to make the maneuver on.) A bit of a grey area is whether you have to do the full move before the half move when you have 1.5 moves. Most groups I've gamed with have been ok with doing them in either order.

2. Think of phases as having 3 steps: Speed Change, Move, Firing. They always occur in that order for each phase. You can only change speed once per turn (5 phases) and fire once per turn per character, but the phase you choose to do so (if you do at all) is up to you. Speed changes made in a phase do apply to the movement in the same phase.

3. Yes. Any angle of bend can be made into a swerve in this manner.

4. The original swerve and hard swerve (we're talking pocket box and original DCW) are essentially what are now a D1 and D2 Bend. (A Bend in that era was what is now a D3 Bend and a Tight Bend was the current D6 Bend, the D4 and D5 varieties didn't exist).

ADQ 6/2 and the Compendium reintroduced the Swerve as it exists now - combining a D1 drift with a bend in the opposite direction. The hard swerve never returned in the core rules. I suspect it is probably a local variant or some confusion about what the original hard swerve was.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:49 AM   #33
Racer

Now I'm home again , I think your right . Old info sheet from CWC 1 just states drifts with a small 'd' & omits the '¼' symbol . Probably one cause of the disambiguaty of the rules interpretation ?
ADQ 6/2 is clearer with text , but couldn't find anything to totally clarify the situation in ADQ 8/2 : page 14 'CAR WARS COMPENDIUM Second Edition Rules Changes and Errata' . I
no longer own a First Edition to check the text there - gave mine to T-Rex's brother Yojimbo about 26 years ago .

We use the 'Steep Drift+Bend in opposite' direction as a maneuvering option in our games . Rarely actually used outside Arena speed events , it has little impact on gameplay . I once found it incredibly handy on the revised Hammer Downs (ADQ 6/3) , when trying to line up for one of those long ramps , with a out of control vehicle & obstacles getting in the way .

Last edited by Racer; 11-25-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #34
SJF

Thanks for answering my questions. I have been using two books as reference. The main one is the Classic Car Wars book and occasionally the Deluxe version. Typically it is whatever is closer haha. It turns out in the older rules you can fire before or after your movement in a phase, which isn't really compatible with some of the rules in Classic.
SJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #35
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJF View Post
Thanks for answering my questions. I have been using two books as reference. The main one is the Classic Car Wars book and occasionally the Deluxe version. Typically it is whatever is closer haha. It turns out in the older rules you can fire before or after your movement in a phase, which isn't really compatible with some of the rules in Classic.
Yep. When the rules changed to 5 phases, the fire before or after was dropped. And at some point the acceleration phase became doable at the start of any phase (in the original rules it was only between seconds).

I need to remember to bring my tripod to record my rules spiel at OrcaCon in January.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #36
Racer

In our games with younger/new players , we still use the 'Speed Change' phrase at start of each Second & it streamlines play . Also helps prevent bookkeep headaches .

In games with more experienced players it's the standard rules .
Old 12-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #37
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
In our games with younger/new players , we still use the 'Speed Change' phrase at start of each Second & it streamlines play . Also helps prevent bookkeep headaches .

In games with more experienced players it's the standard rules .
It's pretty easy even with new players - I use tokens to keep track of firing actions and speed changes (they discard them when they are played and pick them up again at the end of the turn). It actually reinforces the idea of an something that can only be done that turn.

Tokens (or cards) to track firing and speed changes already made for the current turn make a HUGE difference in bookkeeping, particularly at conventions. I ask the players to wave the token/card around in the air when they want to do the action for the token, which also helps me as a referee spot when people want to do it.