Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #281
GasMan
Banned

Default Re: Minor League Supers [Powers/Supers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
It bothers me when I have to be the one in the room who says maybe this thread is focusing on weird butt stuff excessively. I don't see myself as that guy. If I have to be that guy, things are pointed sideways.
My apologies if I broke that threshold, it was more like a "thumb up ones arse" (aka being really lazy) joke and a pun on analgesic.
GasMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #282
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
It bothers me when I have to be the one in the room who says maybe this thread is focusing on weird butt stuff excessively. I don't see myself as that guy. If I have to be that guy, things are pointed sideways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
My apologies if I broke that threshold, it was more like a "thumb up ones arse" (aka being really lazy) joke and a pun on analgesic.
I had hoped my "Jump the Shark" post would have been a warning that the thread was about to, well, jump the shark when it came to such things, but I guess it was a bit too subtle....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #283
martinl

Toast Knight has a powered battle-suit made entirely out of high tech toast. It provides surprisingly high DR, ST boost, and shoots sharpened stale baguettes for decent damage, but goes soggy quickly if exposed to water.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #284
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Toast Knight has a powered battle-suit made entirely out of high tech toast. It provides surprisingly high DR, ST boost, and shoots sharpened stale baguettes for decent damage, but goes soggy quickly if exposed to water.
The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure that there have been sillier things in comics, back in the Silver Age, when the writers and editors were on all the drugs. Maybe some even after the Silver Age.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #285
AlexanderHowl

Tentacles

Tentacles is a superhuman with the ability to manifest invisible tentacles that are capable of grasping insubstantial entities. He can also transform the tentacles into invisible whips capable of bypassing any mundane protections and capable of perfect accuracy that daze their targets. He uses his abilities in order to further his criminal career.

Invisible Tentacles: Extra Arms 2 (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Cosmic, +50%; Extra-Flexible, +50%; No Signature, +20%; Switchable, +10%) [50]

Invisible Whips: Crushing Attack 1d (Alternate Ability; Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Cosmic, No die roll required, No active defenses, Ignores DR, +700%; Melee, 1-4, Destructive Parry, Dual, +10%; No Signature, +20%; Symptoms, Daze, Cumulative damage equal to 1/3 HP, +150%) [10]
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #286
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Tentacles
Invisible Tentacles: Extra Arms 2 (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Cosmic, +50%; Extra-Flexible, +50%; No Signature, +20%; Switchable, +10%) [50]
What form of Cosmic is this?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #287
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
What form of Cosmic is this?
It is the basic form for abilities that are neither attacks or defenses. In the case of Invisible Tentacles, it would probably enhance No Signature by preventing detection by any non-Cosmic sensory power.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #288
awesomenessofme1

It's been a while since someone posted a full character sheet, and I've been working on one, so I figured I'd post it. This is a modified version of a character I posted a brief synopsis of a while ago.

Blue Dragon

About eight months ago, after staying awake for 86 hours straight and then drinking an entire pot of coffee, engineer Stephen Clarke sketched out a design for a revolutionary new energy generation system. When he woke up the next day, he immediately set out trying to build it. He soon realized that it had major issues that would prevent it from being effectively deployed on a large scale until fixed. However, the microreactor was uniquely suited to serve as the power source for a suit of powered armor. After some experimentation, Clarke created his Blue Dragon suit. Two months ago, he was recruited into the US government’s new team of superhuman commandos.

Attributes

ST 10 [0]
DX 11/13 [20]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 11 [10]
HP 10 [0]
Will 13 [-5]
Per 12 [-10]
FP 10 [-3]
Basic Speed 5.50/6.00 [0]
Basic Move 5/6 [0]

Advantages

Absolute Direction (Armor, -45%, Requires Signal, -20%) [2]
Attractive [4]
DR 25 (Armor, -45%, Can’t Wear Armor, -40%) [25]
External ST 10 (Armor, -45%) [44]
Flight (Armor, -45%, Cannot Hover, -15%) [16]
Increased Air Move 3 (Armor, -45%) [4]
Increased DX 2 (Armor, -45%) [22]
Lightning Calculator [2]
Status 1 [0]
Turbocharge [41]
Wealthy [20]

Turbocharge is a set of Alternative Abilities:
Aquatic Mode: Discriminatory Hearing (Armor, Only underwater), Doesn’t Breathe (Armor, Gills), Pressure Support 1 (Armor), Sealed (Armor)
Increased Strength: External ST 5 (Armor)
Lightning Breath: Burning Attack 4d (Armor, Accurate 2, Increased 1/2D x5, Reduced Range x1/5, Side Effect (Stunning), Surge, Takes Extra Time 1, Takes Recharge (5 sec))
Turboboost: Enhanced Air Move 2 (Move 60) (Armor)
Vibroclaws: Cutting Attack 2d (Armor, Armor Divisor (3), Melee Attack (C,1), Switchable, Variable)

“Armor” is shorthand for Gadget (Breakable (DR25, SM+0, Machine), Can be stolen (Must be forcefully removed)), -45%.

Disadvantages

Bad Temper (12) [-10]
Curious (12) [-5]
Dependent (Child, built on 0 or less, 6 or less, loved one) [-15]
Dependent (Wife, built on 50%, 6 or less, loved one) [-5]
Duty (US Government, 9 or less, Extremely hazardous) [-10]
Enemy (Powerful individual, Unknown, 6 or less) [-12]
Overconfidence (12) [-5]
Secret Identity [-5]
Stubbornness [-5]
Alcohol Intolerance [-1]
Congenial [-1]
Hates being corrected [-1]
Imaginative [-1]
Makes bets with teammates [-1]

Skills

Acting-13 [1]
Administration-13 [1]
Aerobatics-10/12 [2]
Area Knowledge (Home City) -14 [1]
Armoury (Battlesuits) -14 [2]
Brawling-13/15 [4]
Carousing-11 [1]
Chemistry-13 [2]
Computer Operation-14 [1]
Computer Programming-13 [2]
Current Affairs (Science and Technology)-15 [2]
Detect Lies-11 [2]
Driving (Automobile)-10/12 [1]
Electrician-14 [2]
Engineer (Battlesuit)-14 [4]
Engineer (Electrical)-13 [2]
Engineer (Electronics)-13 [2]
Engineer (Materials)-12 [1]
Finance-12 [1]
Flight-12/14 [4]
Innate Attack (Breath)-13/15 [4]
Mathematics (Applied)-12 [1]
Navigation (Air)-13/16 [1]
Observation-12 [2]
Physics-11 [1]
Research-14 [2]
Swimming-11 [1]
Weird Science-13 [4]
Wrestling-10/12 [1]
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #289
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Let us get one thing straight - The Notorious Count Von Fangula is not a vampire. Neither are his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, or their children. Honest.

In 1946, a US Soldier was lost in one of the caves beneath Mount Darkness, just a short distance from the Trinity Site. He found his way out three days later, covered with bat bites. Over the next week he painfully transformed into his present form. (That's the official story, anyway. Conspiracy theories abound ...)

Seeing himself transformed into a nosferatu-looking freak, many would despair, or go mad. This young fellow instead had his legal name changed to "The Notorious Count Von Fangula" and became a feature performer in B-grade horror movies and later became a late-night horror movie host. Combined with comic books, merchandising, and such, he became quite rich. Being a sensible person, he did not waste his money in an indulgent lifestyle, instead investing it carefully. As a result, all of his descendants currently have modest trust funds that, while not extravagant, give them a good financial cushion.

He quickly married despite his appearance and produced four children. Two had the physcial appearance of their father, and one changed later in life. These proportions continued through their bloodline. (The first members of the fifth generation was born in 2015.)

In 1970, some researchers cited the Von Fangulas as proof of superhumans being the forerunners of new subspecies of humanity coming into being. This has made certain groups of anti-evolution fanatics consider the whole Von Fangula family as demonic and occasionally attempt to kill them. There are also conspiracy theorists claiming "evidence" that Von Fangula style vampires have existed for centuries.

Over the years, the Von Fangulas, now numbering over a hundred individuals, have become normal citizens, not enough to be an ethnic group yet, but still distinctive. Some have followed their progenitor into entertainment, others have become "regular citizens", a few have become superheroes or criminals. Some hate their deformities, other revel in them, but most are just used to it.

The Von Fangulas have chalk-white skin, scarlet eyes, and pointed ears and always have some amount of white hair (from a streak to all white and all in-between). They are physically strong and tough, with fangs and claws, can fly and cling to walls, have abnormal healing and amazing senses. But during the day their bodies weaken, their senses dull, and they lose their flying healing and wall-crawling abilities. Also, direct exposure to sunlight can knock them unconscious. They also have a digestive system that can't process cooked meat, a metabolism that has odd drug interactions, and behavioral oddities have been noted on full moon nights.

And no they don't drink blood, hypnotise people, nor change people into creatures like them. And they can survive sunlight, it's just unpleasant. As for running a steak through their heart - please, who wouldn't that kill?

Another little detail - the Notorious Count Von Fangula is in his eighties and has the physique of a man in his thirties. Biological studies estimate the potential lifespan of a Von Fangula is in the 250-year range, but again none have lived long enough to age significantly yet.

Von Fangula Family Template [208 points]

Attributes:
ST +4 (Super-Effort +300%; Only at Night -20%) [152]
HT +2 (Only at Night -20%) [18]
Alertness +3 (Only at Night -20%) [12]

Physical Advantages: Clinging (Only at Night -20%) [18]
Dark Vision (See Colors +25%) [30]
Extended Lifespan 1 (2)
Flight (Cannot Hover -15%; Only at Night -20%) [26]
Longevity [2]
Sharp Claws [5]
Regeneration (Regular; Only at Night -20%) [20]
Other Advantages: Independent Income 20 (Comfortable) [20]

Perks: Sharp Teeth [1]

Physical Disadvantages: Bad Sight (Only During Daytime -20%) [-20]
Colorblindness (Only During Daytime -20%) [-8]
Disturbing Voice [-10]
Lunacy [-10]
Restricted Diet (Uncooked Meat) [-10]
Unusual Biochemistry [-5]
Weakness (Sunlight; 1d per minute; Fatigue Only -50%; Variable -40%) [-4]
Other Disadvantages: Enemy (Racist Loonies - Base 20 points; Hunter; 6 or less) [-10]

Quirks: Unnatural Features (Palid Skin, sharp teeth, red eyes, pointed ears) [-1]
=========================================
NOTE: Members of the Von Fangula family can be a great many things, with average members of the third and fourth generations being in the 250-point range (+/- 10%). But they cover the entire range, from small children to experienced super-heroes and millionaires. Some careers are closed off to them because of their distinctive appearances and difficulty with working in daylight. Von Fangulas are automatically disqualified from military service.

Last edited by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2; 08-31-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #290
AlexanderHowl

I think that ST+10 would be technically more useful (Super ST 4 actually only gives +10 ST, so it is actually worse than ST+10). With the Accessibility, it is also much cheaper, 80 CP instead of 152 CP. I would actually do Flight with hovering and leave off Clinging, as it would cost 10 CP less and effectively function the same way. Alertness does not exist. Independent Income also should not be in a racial template.

Tags
supers