Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #21
Michele

Default Re: Equipping fantasy "Movie Star"

I don't think she needs to sink those bucketfuls of money into equipment, in a rare magic fantasy environment. Sure, she'll need stage clothing, but that sort of clothing only looks valuable. It will only resemble a queen's attire. She will also need make-up materials, wigs, and the like. Still, not amounting to $6,000 IMHO.

However, if we're talking about a fantasy world in which magic is common, and she's got this sort of budget, then buy her some enchanted ring enhancing the public's reaction, by all means.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #22
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
She could be given fencing, by the way. Not because it is needed but because having her be a dualist as well as an entertainer is an interesting twist.
Not for a TL 3 setting, most fencing weapons are TL4. Though Stage Combat is still a skill fitting
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #23
Whitewings

Acrobatics and various Combat Arts are absolutely appropriate skills for an action star on stage.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
Black Leviathan

If your fantasy world keeps the same TL conventions as the real one, a famous actor would travel with an impressive array of costuming and masks and props to manage playing multiple different characters in the same performance. Potentially even a travelling stage to perform at roadside towns. They'd probably also manage a crew, playright, fellow actors, stage-manager that all could be allies.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:23 AM   #25
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
If your fantasy world keeps the same TL conventions as the real one, a famous actor would travel with an impressive array of costuming and masks and props to manage playing multiple different characters in the same performance. Potentially even a travelling stage to perform at roadside towns. They'd probably also manage a crew, playright, fellow actors, stage-manager that all could be allies.
All true, but I believe the investments in heavy equipment (such as a permanent or movable stage) and personnel would be made by the impresario or manager, not by the leading actor or actress.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #26
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Mata Hari and Houdini were famous without being movie stars. I'm sure there were famous vaudeville stars too. Opera and ballet would've been the equivalent to movies in earlier times.
Pantomime actor Joseph Grimaldi was the rock star of the early 19th century.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
All true, but I believe the investments in heavy equipment (such as a permanent or movable stage) and personnel would be made by the impresario or manager, not by the leading actor or actress.
I feel like at the point where your Fantasy Celebrity is someone known around the kingdom and not just a random performer blowing through town then your manager is an employee of the star actress, doing her busy work in managing the act.

Another thing, not necessarily equipment, but something that would be important is a promoter, a herald or clown, that rides ahead of the show a day or two and hypes people for the arrival of the star to make sure everyone is in town while the show comes through to pay to see the act. Maybe they put up posters in cities or other areas with common literacy.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #28
cyberpuppy2015

Thanks for the feedback; unfortunately, I was one of the few players to submit a near-complete character. Except for the equipment list.

The game closed mostly due to lack of a suitable number of players.

I do agree about "Opera" and 'Entertainer' angle. Greek plays, and similar arts would be what I was aiming for. Thanks for the insight into the equipment question!
cyberpuppy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #29
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
No, Theodora was a lady's maid to an actress/prostitute. Had she been provably a prostitute herself there is no way Justinian would have been able to marry her. She was also retired, a Christian convert, and married before Justinian met her. She certainly was not known for her acting nor her beauty. She was a complete unknown before she became empress.

I can think of very few performers of any sort that became really famous before motion pictures. Perhaps Mozart, Liszt, Paganini, and Chopin.
Lillie Langtry was famous nation-wide in the 19th century although photography played a major role in that. But it would be easy enough for a TL 3 actor be famous city wide.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thespian