Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Arcanestomper

Default Increasing buffs over Time

I am designing a race of golems to use as allies for my summoner in a high point supers game. One archetype I want for my golems is a controller that can direct the other golems and focus power into them. I want it to be able to concentrate on a golem and have that golem increase in power as long as it is being focused on. Or the controller can focus on several golems to spread the power around so that each one is a bit tougher than base, but not as powerful as the single focus example. I would also like it if the buff could become more powerful over time.

The obvious choice to me is to use affliction with the cumulative modifier and malediction. I can then give my controller golem multiple levels of compartmentalized mind, and each mind could use the buff on an individual golem or stack them onto a single golem. I can increase or reduce the duration to allow for growth over time or something that ends as soon as the controller switches targets.

Now my question is is there a better way to do this? And will it be too powerful?
Arcanestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Dustin

Default Re: Increasing buffs over Time

Will it be too powerful? If you're designing your own Allies for combat, the answer is almost always "Yes". Ally is a very powerful point multiplier, and I recommend talking with your GM to get on the same page about what you're expecting this to look like.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Arcanestomper

Default Re: Increasing buffs over Time

I should clarify. I am the GM of this game, but I have a Co-GM who I hand off running the adventures with. When I am the one playing this is the character I use. However is this character is the sole villain PC and usually takes an antagonistic role. We are fully aware of how much of a multiplier taking allies is. However he is designed to fight three to four heroic PCs of a similar point level to himself and give them a challenge before ultimately losing.

So it's a fine line between powerful, but not too powerful. And each of these golems gets a hard look to ensure they are balanced.

What I meant with this question was is using cumulative afflictions powerful compared to other methods of providing buffs such as Affects Others or one shot afflictions. And what kind of effect would this have on the entire party of golems being buffed.

I think that it is a neat idea thematically, but as I said I don't want to make the golems too powerful.
Arcanestomper is offline   Reply With Quote