Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
KilledAlive

Default I'm Developing a tool for GURPS, legal Questions?

I'm a college student and I'm making an offline helper application to aid in playing GURPS. As I have been improving its usability by adding useful tidbits of information from the Campaigns and Characters manuals so that someone while playing wouldn't have to scrounge them up. Considering how the two rulebooks are full price items, I'm starting to worry if that information is private to a certain extent.

The application itself is far from complete, but I'm very worried that if I keep adding useful information from the Campaigns and Characters manuals, that the almighty Steve J will be coming for me or something. I'll throw in a screenshot of what I'm talking about. https://imgur.com/PfXRBnj

When I am putting that information into my application, I do my best to paraphrase the important information accurately but differently enough so that I am not parroting the manuals word for word. It's also quite tricky to space sentences with a limited width available, so it's not just copying.

Last edited by KilledAlive; 08-06-2018 at 05:01 PM.
KilledAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: I'm Developing a tool for GURPS, legal Questions?

You need to read the SJG Online Policy, and follow it.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
KilledAlive

I've taken a look through the Online policy, and I'd like to make some general clarifications of the scope of my application.

* It's a Windows program, with no online or mobile functionality whatsoever.

* I intend to distribute it for free when it is complete.

* The application uses rules and concepts from the two Campaigns and Characters manuals, and provides explanations of these mechanics as well.

* Added the proper disclaimer to my application. Results of the change here. https://imgur.com/R9xOWiP

Last edited by KilledAlive; 08-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

What you're asking is a legal question and is not something we can answer in a public forum such as this, because anything we DO say can be construed as permission by people with fewer scruples.

If you want to contact licensing@sjgames.com with a better description of what you want your app to do - and, specifically, how much and what of the actual text of the GURPS books you are copying - we can look at your proposal and give you the appropriate answer.

To be clear, this isn't meant as a smackdown of any sort. I'm trying to direct you to the correct channel to maximize your chance of getting an answer you'll like. We can't give actual legal advice here because it could set a precedent that will bite us in the butt - and because we aren't actual lawyers.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
KilledAlive

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll check with the licencing people for a more detailed perspective on all of this.