Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Wraiith32

Default Ask for help and getting assistance question

Let's say there is a level 10 monster (3 treasures) and I am level 5. I ask for help from someone else who is also level 5 for 2 of the treasures. Right now the fight is tie 10 to 10. Can someone else negotiate one of the treasures to help throw down a +2 card?
Wraiith32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
six's monkey

Default Re: Ask for help and getting assistance question

Short answer, not really.
Longer answer, only the combat Owner and the Helper if one has been asked into the combat can receive treasure(s) as reward directly from the combat. Their agreement can be amended, but the c-O determines the moment when running away begins.
Either of those two players -could- enter into side agreements regarding future -trades-. Trades must be made from items in play (not cards in hand).

If I got any of that wrong, or misleadingly, I apologize.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Actually, any other player outside the combat could try to negotiate a trade after the combat is over for an action taken during the combat that could help the players in it. Even if one player exchanges nothing back for an Item, that's considered a trade for the game's definition. Also, someone can always play a GUAL on any other player. So, to recap, a player outside the combat could negotiate to have an Item traded to them for nothing in exchange, or to have a GUAL played on them.

It would probably behoove the players in combat to make sure that, should they choose to negotiate with someone outside the combat in this fashion, that they stipulate that they have to win, in case some other player decides to stop them and are left having to trade something they already own. Though, in this case, it seems like the players had no Items to speak of, so I guess it would be a given. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Actually, any other player outside the combat could try to negotiate a trade after the combat is over for an action taken during the combat that could help the players in it. Even if one player exchanges nothing back for an Item, that's considered a trade for the game's definition. Also, someone can always play a GUAL on any other player. So, to recap, a player outside the combat could negotiate to have an Item traded to them for nothing in exchange, or to have a GUAL played on them.

It would probably behoove the players in combat to make sure that, should they choose to negotiate with someone outside the combat in this fashion, that they stipulate that they have to win, in case some other player decides to stop them and are left having to trade something they already own. Though, in this case, it seems like the players had no Items to speak of, so I guess it would be a given. . .
I am slightly confused as I am new to the game and my first taste of Munchkin was watching the episode of Table Top found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6oMBSiL7Zs

Fast forward to 11:00 and there is a 3 way deal, the player that plays an item to help, but is outside of combat, negotiated two of the treasures. This was obviously agreeable by Steve Jackson himself.

Please correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding of your post, what Steve did in that video would be in violation of the rules. So I am seeking some clarification on this. Was the deal struck by the 3 players in that video permissible or not?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

I've not watched the video because I know there's enough "mistakes" made, basically to speed things up and give people a taste of what the game is like, that it would drive me nuts.
MiB #1029
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

See, I watched the video, and now I'm nearly insane. But: It's clear that Sandeep is not actually helping, since he didn't have to roll to Run Away from the Monsters. Secondly, he made his deal with Felicia for the Treasures she would be getting. He can do that as long as she gets two Items that she can trade to him for nothing in return (I stated this above as legitimate). Again, I'm sure that Steve let this go for the sake of expediency. Third: Steve chastises Wil for not reading the Tuba Of Charm card, yet fails to read the fact that you cannot run away from the Floating Nose! Add to that the fact that they keep referring to combat level, a term never used in the game (it's combat strength), and Felicia's using 4 Hands worth of Items, then changes to using 4 Hands worth of Items (and no one stops her!), and then. . . Ugh! I can't keep going. . . I'm forced to re-state what Andrew and many others have said many times before: Do not use Table Top as the basis for actually learning how to play any game they show on that show, and especially for the finer points in the rules.

In short, the deal Sandeep and Felicia make is hinky as it was shown on the show, but could be allowed if, as I said before, phrased correctly. Felicia could give Sandeep two Items, or one Item and play a GUAL on him, or play 2 GUALs on him, but she couldn't just give him any Treasure card she received or had in her hand.

Let me state again, for the record: Table Top is not the best basis for actually learning how Munchkin is played, even if Steve Jackson, the game's designer, is in the episode.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 09-17-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Loki

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and clear that up for me. Much appreciated.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote