Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #181
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

If I ever worked personally with Phillips, I have lost the memory. He cound have lived anywhere and corresponded with Metagaming. And the images on that web page are all nonrepresentational.So it may be a coincidence of names.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #182
JLV

I wonder if Guy McLimore or one of the other old Metagamers knew him...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #183
disasterwargamer

Been playing Melee and Wizard since the early 80s with some modifications

As you update - please keep it simple versus other Fantasy RPGs out there

The beauty started with not having to spend hours getting your initial character - the extras came as the game went along

Long Time GEV/Melee and Wizard Player (among other micro games)
disasterwargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #184
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Hello, TFT fans! I'm going to suggest that detailed rules discussion go into the Roleplaying in General thread, rather than here, and we can leave this thread for more general discussion about the announcement and future plans for development as SJ and the team are comfortable talking about them.

I'm going to do a bit of thread surgery and move some of the crunchiest posts over now. Edited to add: That turned out to be a grand total of eight posts, so not too bad, and they were excised nicely with a minimum of damage to the surrounding tissue.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 01-03-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #185
JLV

Makes sense, Andrew. I do have a couple of questions for Steve on the tentative concept for re-release of TFT.

You mention a Kickstarter for Melee, possibly in 2018. Are you thinking of combining Melee and Advanced Melee in that? Or is it going to be only the minigame? If it's only the minigame, what are you thinking about the Advanced rules?

Also, what are your feelings at this point on potential timing for Wizard/Advanced Wizard and In The Labyrinth -- sometime in 2019/2020? Later? Not asking for actual commitments, everything is highly subject to change, YMMV, etc. are all understood in any answer you may feel you can share on this one...

(I'm assuming part of the idea here for a Kickstarter is to "test the waters" and see how a Melee Kickstarter does, which will inform you on the future plans for everything else, but I'm guessing you might have some ideas for the future release schedule somewhere in the back of your head, assuming all goes well...)

Are you considering compiling some or all the old Spacegamer articles (barring the errata, that one is presumably OBE) into a book of some kind? Personally, I'd love to have them all hard-copy again...

Finally, what are you thinking regarding the Death Tests and Tollenkar's Lair? Stretch goals for future Kickstarters? Individual releases? Something different?

I know, I know, you probably can't answer any of this yet (except maybe the first one), but you have to know we're all dying out here for any kind of info! ;-)

(Edited to add: What about the hymenopterans?!? It'd be a real shame to lose them, but I can see you might have to change the name and concept a bit, under the circumstances...)

Last edited by JLV; 01-04-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:27 AM   #186
Chris Rice

Steve, I hope now the New Year is out of the way, you're going to get Melee/Wizard to the table again after all these years (I'm guessing you haven't played it in the interim).

I'd be curious to know your thoughts when you do so. Anything you would do differently now?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #187
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
Great question! Answer: two small children... and I'm doing a full court press on a riveted mail hauberk and a couple of sword projects,
Riveted mail has to be one of the few things more time consuming than small children.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #188
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
Great question! Answer: two small children... and I'm doing a full court press on a riveted mail hauberk and a couple of sword projects, so updating the old blog has regrettably fallen behind. I'll try to get to that in the next day or two, the "ungrateful wretches" permitting :-)

Edit: and I probably shouldn't let Steve Jackson see my posts reviewing Tollenkar's Lair :-o
Life does that -- get in the way of things, that is. But I know you're having fun working on the armor and weapons!

Actually, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on Tollenkar's Lair -- there were some major issues with it as written; many of which (in my personal opinion) can be traced to the lack of sufficient background. It's almost like it was pulled together from a much bigger scenario, so there are a lot of loose ends that the FM has to either fill himself or hand-wave to get through the scenario. There were some pesky "internal" issues too, with inconsistencies in the bad guys' behavior and responses to attack, but those were relatively easier to tie together. (Actually, I'll bet Steve would be interested in your take on the Lair -- outside eyes almost always spot issues with things that you can't see because you're standing right there. If he plans any major re-writes for the canon, I'm guessing TL would be one of the most likely places they'd take place, and any critique would be invaluable for that sort of thing...)

However, having said all of that, I would LOVE to see Tollenkar's Lair presented properly, as part of the "bigger picture" scenario that is just begging to be written to make it all come together! (I wonder if Steve still has his scenario notes from the original?)

Last edited by JLV; 01-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #189
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

JLV - Most of that falls into "dunno yet." I am certainly going to be preparing a list of relevant TFT articles if only for my own reference.

What is OBE?

Chris - Oh, definitely some things I would do differently. Most of them have been discussed in this thread. Attribute bloat; Conan the Wizard; the shish-kebab effect. Things like that.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #190
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
JLV - Most of that falls into "dunno yet." I am certainly going to be preparing a list of relevant TFT articles if only for my own reference.

What is OBE?

Chris - Oh, definitely some things I would do differently. Most of them have been discussed in this thread. Attribute bloat; Conan the Wizard; the shish-kebab effect. Things like that.
Sorry, Steve -- "OBE" = Overcome By Events -- military slang meaning the situation is now completely different. Meaning that since you're going to be republishing, you'll certainly take the opportunity to incorporate the errata from the first edition as part of that process, and republishing that article would be kind of pointless...(except for your "designer/developer" notes, of course, which I personally hope you will take, expand upon, and publish as a new article).

Yep, I figured. But I wanted to list some things so that as you go through the process you might think; "Oh yeah, that annoying guy in the threads wanted to hear about that decision!" But, you know me from the Ogre boards -- I ALWAYS have questions! :-)

Last edited by JLV; 01-04-2018 at 01:41 PM.