Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Shaun

Default A few questions about Shapeshifting

Premise: I'm an Elemental Summoner and I'm building an elemental ally with Morph.

First question-

This 'omni-elemental' will have the ability to morph into the other elemental templates. I give the base form all of the standard elemental templates Advantages (Doesn't eat or drink [10 points], doesn't breath [20 points], doesn't sleep [20 points] and immunity to metabolic hazards [30 points]: total advantages 80 points). For simplicity sake, assume the omni-elemental is a base 0 point template because I've offset the advantage costs with lower basic attributes. Do the advantages count towards the morph points cost of the new template with the same advantages?

Example:
At 0 point basic template, I buy Morph at 100 + 40 points extra morphing capacity.
Do I only have access to the 'Small Elemental' templates, since they're each 40 point templates, or do I have access to the +20 point templates like Walking Fog as well? Since I already have the 80 points of shared advantages, do I need to use my morph to gain them again?

Next question-
If a template, like the fire elemental Jumping Flame, has points toward Innate Attack and my base form has its own points for Innate Attack, do those Innate Attacks stack, or does the Jumping Flame template overwrite my base form's Innate Attack? If so, is there a way to improve a skill that you acquire through morph?

Another question-
Shapeshifting specifies that if you're injured and you change into a form with fewer base hitpoints (and fatigue), then you scale the damage. Does the same hold true for healing? So that if I'm in a form with base 40 HP at 1/2 life, and I morph into a form with base 2 HP, I can heal for 1 and morph back to full health?

Last question (for now)-
In a case where a human changes into a form that doesn't need to eat or sleep, when they change back to human after 3 days are they hungry and tired or do they pick back up from where they left off before the initial change?

Thanks!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: A few questions about Shapeshifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Premise: I'm an Elemental Summoner and I'm building an elemental ally with Morph.
Hiya!
First question is no. Its the point cost of the template that determines your base template capability in Morph (and Alternate Form). So lowering the cost by dropping attributes or adding disadvantages does not increase your capability.
So you 40 points toward the Morph pool only allows access to the 40 point templates.

Second question: Sounds like your talking about Innate Attack skill not the advantage?
The answer depends. Morph swaps out racial templates and has no effect on individual or character specific abilities which are thus kept between forms.
So if the elemental buys it up as an individual ability it can use that in other forms, and if they also have points in the skill they would stack.
But if its part of the racial template for the base form it would not stack.
Improving skills on the form can be done but your better off treating them as individual skills.

On your healing crock, technically true bu its abusive and I would hit you with a rolled up newspaper if you tried it in my game. I would instead say you just healed 1 HP. The purpose of that rule is so a tough form that takes damage keeps the weaker form from instantly dying if it reverts to that form.

On resting and eating they would pick up where they left off in my opinion.
I do not recall a ruling in RAW on that.

FYI I recommend you choose a high cost base elemental form as your default and then add Morph to it. That buys up your effective pool and gives you a capable form if your forced to revert to it (Knocked out, or dispelled).
Preferably a form that has Regeneration.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote