Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
tbeard1999

Default How Do You Imprison TFT Wizards?

I posed this question elsewhere, but I’m curious. How can you keep TFT wizards from being able to cast spells? In my dimly remembered youth, I posited pentagram shaped jail cells. Later, I posited that a relatively small magnet would jam spellcasting, so suspected wizards would have a metal bracelet with a magnet inside on their wrists. How’d you guys address it?
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
ecz

Default Re: How Do You Imprison TFT Wizards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I posed this question elsewhere, but I’m curious. How can you keep TFT wizards from being able to cast spells? In my dimly remembered youth, I posited pentagram shaped jail cells. Later, I posited that a relatively small magnet would jam spellcasting, so suspected wizards would have a metal bracelet with a magnet inside on their wrists. How’d you guys address it?
it happened in our games.

the wizards were blindfolded, handcuffed (using iron) and gagged.
This way the wizard cannot see (no summon or lllusion or missile or thrown spell), cannot use voice or hands for high level incantations , and is at -4DX for any other -probably useless- spell he could still try.
ecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #3
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
it happened in our games.

the wizards were blindfolded, handcuffed (using iron) and gagged.
This way the wizard cannot see (no summon or lllusion or missile or thrown spell), cannot use voice or hands for high level incantations , and is at -4DX for any other -probably useless- spell he could still try.

Yep, that's the way we did it. Crude, but effective.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #4
ecz

TFT is for crude situations!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Skarg

If you have a wizard cast a strong Curse on them, that'll tend to make things hard for them.

If you have a wizard with the Geas spell, you can have others cast Confusion and/or Curse on him (to reduce the prisoner's resistance), then Geas him not to cast spells until released.

The Little Death will also do it, at least if the prisoner has some ST left and you only need them to last a few days.

It's also not much of a stretch to invent a variation of Pentagram which would work to block spells coming from inside it, for a cell for a wizard prisoner, possibly even using it on a barred wagon.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

This is an interesting question and not one that I can recall addressing in the Old Days.

For a low-level wizard, just putting him into a deep, deep pit might suffice. He can cast all the spells he likes but he can't reach anything with them. If I were the jailer, I'd want a Reverse Missiles ring just in case.

A high-level wizard is dangerous and hard to hold on to. Perhaps we should just kill him, unless he is a valuable hostage.

But remember the coronet that held Jaggado in Tollenkar's Lair? That would work if you could get him to hold still long enough to put it on him.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
This is an interesting question and not one that I can recall addressing in the Old Days.

For a low-level wizard, just putting him into a deep, deep pit might suffice. He can cast all the spells he likes but he can't reach anything with them. If I were the jailer, I'd want a Reverse Missiles ring just in case.

A high-level wizard is dangerous and hard to hold on to. Perhaps we should just kill him, unless he is a valuable hostage.

But remember the coronet that held Jaggado in Tollenkar's Lair? That would work if you could get him to hold still long enough to put it on him.
Since spells are cast by DX, then logically, taking away the Wizards DX (by tightly binding etc) should take away their chance to cast spells. Page 9 of Advanced Wizard seems to have other ideas though: "if a spell is 5 IQ lower than the Wizards level he can cast it without appearing to move a muscle"
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Since spells are cast by DX, then logically, taking away the Wizards DX (by tightly binding etc) should take away their chance to cast spells. Page 9 of Advanced Wizard seems to have other ideas though: "if a spell is 5 IQ lower than the Wizards level he can cast it without appearing to move a muscle"
but he still must be able to see "where" he cast the spell in case of T, C or M spells. Hence the binding. The gagging and the handcuffing is to allow only spells of IQ 5 lower then the wizards level, that wearing iron, are cast only at -4DX.

So a "treated" Wizard of 20 IQ, for example, can cast only IQ 15 or lower spells, at -4 DX and none can be a Creation, a Thrown or a Missile Spell.
Fairly acceptable risk.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
JLV

Personally, I'd say it would almost have to involve some kind of magical means (a special pentagram, or some kind of magical "blanket" that prevents him from touching his magical power somehow -- which raises all sorts of collateral questions on just how a Wizard does that...), unless you can place him in a cold iron box or cage sufficient to prevent him from doing anything. Unfortunately there aren't any real guidelines on how cold iron would work for something like that.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Maybe this is a digression and maybe not. Why do we always say COLD iron? Is that just an epithet for iron, or does the iron really have to be cold?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote