Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default The GURPS Index

It occurs to me that the GURPS Repository could also be used to create a GURPS Index of all the official material ever published for GURPS 4e - all the different magic systems, templates, weapons, settings and so forth which habve been published in supplements and Pyramid magazine alike, so that you will know where to look for the information.

But before I start laying the foundations for such an index, we need to figure out how such an index should be organized. What aspects of GURPS should be indexed, and what sub-indexes should exist? Should individualindex entries be listed alphabetically, or according to some other scheme - for example, by TL for gear, or by weapon type for weapons? How many different ways do we need for listing the same elements?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
panton41

Default Re: The GURPS Index

I can see this as being extremely useful but one question is how fine of detail should it go down to? I could easily see it turning into the "Master List of Traits" that was in the back of Compendium I back in 3rd Edition which would be immensely useful, but should every individual weapon, rule and variation down to the tiniest detail be included or broader strokes.

For example listing that Path/Book is in Thaumatology is a no-brainer, but should the tiniest sub-headers like the "Mandatory Magery" option under Magery (Path/Book) on Thau. 123 be included

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I can see this as being extremely useful but one question is how fine of detail should it go down to? I could easily see it turning into the "Master List of Traits" that was in the back of Compendium I back in 3rd Edition which would be immensely useful, but should every individual weapon, rule and variation down to the tiniest detail be included or broader strokes.

For example listing that Path/Book is in Thaumatology is a no-brainer, but should the tiniest sub-headers like the "Mandatory Magery" option under Magery (Path/Book) on Thau. 123 be included
An overly detailed index was how the Dead Sea Scrolls got outed, remember. 8-)}
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Imion

Regarding templates: GURPS Official Template List.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imion View Post
Regarding templates: GURPS Official Template List.
Hmmm... would it be okay to copy that list to the wiki?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Vaevictis Asmadi

I made a setting list which has as many as I know of that are at least more than 1 page long. It lists no page #s, and books are given as links, but it could be modified for the index. (I'm trying to keep it updated, but would appreciate info from the Pyramid #2 articles that were never free online.)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=108616

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
CraigM

I routinely find myself struggling to locate obscure perks, talents and meta-traits. Non-Basic Set advantages/disadvantages could use an index, too.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Jürgen Hubert

I've added the "meta"-index page here, and created an Index of Spells by College (for the standard GURPS Magic system, so far including the spells from GURPS Thaumatology) to demonstrate how this works.

Suggestion for further index pages are welcome. In particular, I'd like suggestions for sublists for equipment which isn't either armor, a weapon, or a vehicle.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Suggestion for further index pages are welcome. In particular, I'd like suggestions for sublists for equipment which isn't either armor, a weapon, or a vehicle.
Tools, Outdoor gear, Luxury items, Communication and Sensors, Basic Equipment )clothes, utilities, credit cards, ID, phones, etc)
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Jürgen Hubert

I've created several new subsections:

- Advantages
- Enhancements and Limitations
- Meta-Traits

With the "Advantages" index, I deliberated for a while whether to include the advantages from the Basic Set - but after taking a look at GURPS Powers I remembered that many of these advantages have all sorts of custom enhancements and limitations scattered across all sorts of different supplements (think of all the different variants of Magical Aptitude alone!), and I think the format I came up with should do this justice.

I'd like to point out that while I will establish the individual sub-pages and the basic format, due to work-related reasons I won't have the time to do add any further index material beyond that of a single sample book. Thus, if this index is going anywhere, I need others to help out with filling in the blanks. Hopefully, the instructions on the main index page should be enough to get you going. If not, don't hesitate to ask questions here.