Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:47 PM   #21
jemery40k

Default Re: Ogre Playmat Preorders

So mine arrived today and it is as big and beautiful and orange as I hoped it would be.
But, of course, there are things I would change if ever there was a second edition (ha!).
Before that though, might I say that I’m surprised this didn’t go through the crowd source (Kickstarter, Indiegogo) route. I mean, this has got to be one of the most niche items in the Ogre inventory (aside from the shot glasses). Or maybe there is somebody who keeps track of all the individual requests for stuff like this until a certain number is reached and the trigger is pulled. :-)
Anyways, the things I would change - 1. The CRT closest to me on my end of the map should be right side up instead of upside down. 2. While I do admire the cleverness that went into putting together the Ogre damage tracking charts, the mat simply can’t support the resolution needed for the small font size and as a result everything looks a little blurry. I would replace them with a listing of the stats (larger font) for the conventional forces (to facilitate use of miniatures) or possibly some artwork or even a blank space for “casualties“.
But setting all that aside, at the end of the day I am VERY glad that this came out and that I was able to get one. Thanks to everyone involved. Great job!
jemery40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:19 PM   #22
Cat

My set of 4 for tournament use arrived this weekend. O1 mats at long last for us miniatures players who don't have the cardboard, yay!

Drats though, would have been nice if there had been a player input phase before these went to print. Conventional unit stats instead of the Ogre stats would have been far more useful for miniatures use. If the CRT and unit stats were only printed on one side and the mat was trimmed to fit a US standard 2.5' wide folding table, then each mat would only need a single 4' long table for convention use, or 2 on an 8'

Do dry-erase markers clean up thoroughly off this material? Wondering if the Ogre damage tracking boxes would even be very useful instead of just using a regular card.

Last edited by Cat; 08-29-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #23
HeatDeath

I strongly suspect that dry-erase markers will not clean up from this material easily, if at all.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:31 PM   #24
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
I strongly suspect that dry-erase markers will not clean up from this material easily, if at all.
Oh yeah, that's my suspicion too. But it's the best I could come up with as to why the Ogre stats seemed more useful than putting a reference for the conventional stats on the mat.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #25
Failure16

Hello, all.

Just received mine as well. It is big and beautiful. I'm glad I got one...but I am also glad I got only one. Which does not detract from the product as-is in any way...

But there could be other ways to go about it, if a V2 were ever to be considered.

My first thought it that the ancillary data on the long margins was used to fill space because of the differences between the GEV and Ogre mats. What if that space was simply used to increase the size of the Ogre map with the original area demarcated with faint limning?

Those who remember the art for the original Battlefields cover might remember that it showed an image of a transition between the Ogre and GEV maps. What better way to allow the Ogre mat to function with the GEV mats than giving the edges a nice transitional palette?

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/uefe_Lm...)/pic50558.jpg

Barring that, a list of conventional armor stats (such as used to be included as a flimsy in the old miniatures boxes) as previously mentioned would almost certainly have more long-term versatility and viability than an Ogre status tracker. Consider that the sheet as printed would have to use some kind of marker/token that could be too easily moved or shifted during use, limiting its effectiveness.

No matter what, though, my thanks to the development team for providing it to the players and fans!

Now that this project is behind us, what about outlets for fiction?
Failure16 is offline   Reply With Quote