Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #701
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Not exactly weird as such, but definitely out of the ordinary, and interesting and gameable:

Charles DeGaulle's Personal Vessel

This one, however, does have a touch of weirdness about it:

Car Wash Beauty Pageant 1951

Definitely unusual, if not weird, is this:

Games sometimes touch Antarctica, in fact it's probably fair to say that Antarctica looms larger in RPGing than its population and economic activity would statistically suggest. For those in need of a place of worship during a visit:

The Seven Churches of Antarctica

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 04-07-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #702
Daigoro

A French blog, but the videos and magazine covers are excellent.

It shows the development of the "gyrowheel", from dieselpunk to modern day, in fiction and real-life. The 1930s video link is pretty cool.

http://culturevisuelle.org/dejavu/1377
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #703
William

I had a random curiosity as to whether this could happen, so I did some research.

1.) Bivalves can all produce pearls which are today considered gem-quality. The clade evolved about 400 million years ago. Their relatives can also produce nacre, so the ability may have existed somewhat earlier.

2.) Pearls are made of calcium carbonate.

3.) Marble is produced by metamorphosis out of a deposit of calcium carbonate, over about 400 million years.

So it is just within the realm of possibility that somewhere out there is marble, part of which is pearl.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #704
Johnny1A.2

Again, not exactly weirdness, but definitely unusual elements from real life (the link title is self-explanatory):

Abandoned Military Sites From Around The World

I kind of like the pyramidal radar facility and the coastal observation stations.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #705
robkelk
Untitled

I went to the local craft brewery this afternoon - only to discover they were out of beer.

Now I know why "No Beer" was a Disaster in INWO. (I'm going to have to drink factory-made beer for a week!)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #706
William

Drink blood, live forever

A compound called GDF11 has been isolated from the blood of young mice. Not present in older mice, an injection of it activates stem cells that repair damaged organs, produce new neurons in the hippocampus, and allow older mice to perform with fresh endurance and skills.

Even whole blood works: when two mice are surgically sewn together, their circulation systems tied in to each other, the older one gains the benefits (while the younger prematurely ages).

Work is now proceeding on whether an extract of the human version does the same thing in humans.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #707
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

A compound called GDF11 has been isolated from the blood of young mice. Not present in older mice, an injection of it activates stem cells that repair damaged organs, produce new neurons in the hippocampus, and allow older mice to perform with fresh endurance and skills.

Even whole blood works: when two mice are surgically sewn together, their circulation systems tied in to each other, the older one gains the benefits (while the younger prematurely ages).

Work is now proceeding on whether an extract of the human version does the same thing in humans.
Since we're both IN folks: This so sounds like a Vapulan experiment.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #708
Flyndaran
Untagged

That reminds me of a short lived science fiction show from the 70s. The protagonist is immune to disease and aging. It's found out when blood he gave had magical short term anti-aging properties on the old rich recipient.
Being classic evil business man, he wants to control this fountain of youth. And the chase is on akin to The Fugitive.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #709
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Don't tell the Countess Bathory...
Old 05-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #710
Anders

Tennessee woman hid loaded revolver in vagina.

That's just wrong. Wrong. WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

And the Fast-Draw penalties would be enormous.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox