Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
JMason

Default What GURPS needs... now

Some time ago, there was a conversation (or a dozen) that had suggested that GURPS needed an introductory product like a boxed set. And behold, SJGames created just that! I, like many others, am eagerly waiting the DFRPG Boxed Set to arrive (and to see how well it does), but a few recent discussions here and elsewhere started getting me thinking about what else GURPS needs.

(I get that SJG is probably in a "holding pattern" as far as new products go, but hey, its never too early to talk about the future.)

One thing that I have noticed from quite a few people recently, is reflecting on how the 3rd edition basic set was more manageable. The 4th edition basic set is more expensive, more dense, and can be hard to parse for someone new. DFRPG is one solution to this, but gamers that are looking for a great universal system might skip a worked genre game.

There has been talk of reworking GURPS Lite (4th edition) since... well for a long time! I think Lite 4th is good... but the lack of magic and many other options makes it feel less than... "universal". And arguing that a free introductory product needs to eat away at staff time, is a hard pill to swallow.

So, my thoughts are GURPS needs a "Basic Set" that lives up to that name. Something more akin to Savage World's "Explorer Edition". A product with a price tag on it, with enough character traits to cover most genres, and the core rules without all the optional stuff.

I'd love to see a softcover "trade paperback" sized book for under $20 (a $10 book like SWEX would also be great!). Something like this would make it a lot easier to guide new folks to GURPS.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: What GURPS needs... now

I'd say that GURPS needs more than Dungeon Fantasy in order to set it apart from the various D&D clones out there. A few suggestions:

A GURPS Monster Hunters boxed set, including a booklet consisting of RPM rituals, plus a bunch of adventure seeds.

A GURPS Space Opera And Mecha boxed set, including a stripped-down version of Spaceships designed for quickly putting together space opera type spacecraft, starfighters and capital ships alike. Leave aside the options that aren't standard space opera fare.

Come to think of it, I'd love to see Mailanka's Psi-Wars done up as a hardcover book, but I'm not sure it's "needed".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Old 07-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
David Johansen

I've been wanting something like that for years and years. My own thought was a series of GURPS Lite supplements but I can see how that might compete with existing products and undermine sales. I'm hoping Dungeon Fantasy is a success. I'm doing what I can to help it be a success. But I really think a core book that cuts out all the cinematic and non-mundane stuff would be a great resource for new players and GMs.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
But I really think a core book that cuts out all the cinematic and non-mundane stuff would be a great resource for new players and GMs.
I feel exactly the same way about a GURPS book that cuts out all the uberdetailed combat rules and rosters of basically identical weapons.

Which is why I love that the game is modular and you can take what you want and ignore the rest.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 07-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
But I really think a core book that cuts out all the cinematic and non-mundane stuff would be a great resource for new players and GMs.
I would have no use for a book like that. I can't imagine many players, especially new players, would as well.

I could see the opposite being much more useful: something that ramps up the cinematic, and really pares down the mundane. Most of the players I've encountered don't want to play Papers and Paychecks, they want to do something amazing.

To Andrew's point, most of the players I've encountered would rather see GURPS combat simplified. Sure, a GM with all of the important bits memorized can speed combat right along, but, for new players . . . something simple is better than something complex.

And I'm of a mixed mind about identical weapons. But, he's probably right about that as well.

I'm another voter for the power of the modular system. There are lots of things we don't use when playing. There are, additionally, lots of things we bring in from various places. I like how, in general, swapping things in GURPS doesn't, automatically, break the system.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

A 4th Edition of GURPS Magic...
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I feel exactly the same way about a GURPS book that cuts out all the uberdetailed combat rules and rosters of basically identical weapons.

Which is why I love that the game is modular and you can take what you want and ignore the rest.
Oh, I certainly agree with this. But I think there are plenty of folks that prefer staring with a "base line" and building up. IMO, Basic Set for 4th edition is so modular, and so filled with options that it can be hard to establish what the "base line" is.

And I also think there are a lot of gamers that are turned off by the idea of spending $85 on two big dense books, just to ignore the 90% you aren't going to use.

I think an inexpensive "pocket edition", that gives a taste of the rules, but then points the way to Basic Set for the full enchilada... or to DFRPG for a worked example, could do a lot to get new folks into GURPS.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
One thing that I have noticed from quite a few people recently, is reflecting on how the 3rd edition basic set was more manageable. The 4th edition basic set is more expensive, more dense, and can be hard to parse for someone new. DFRPG is one solution to this, but gamers that are looking for a great universal system might skip a worked genre game.

There has been talk of reworking GURPS Lite (4th edition) since... well for a long time! I think Lite 4th is good... but the lack of magic and many other options makes it feel less than... "universal".
The third edition was easier to manage because it was less generic. It assumed you were more or less humanoid and you more or less had no more than the traditional super powers one finds in many RPGs. It was less interested in catering to cinematic styles. It focused more heavily on combat than other activities. Anything outside these assumptions and focuses were put in add-on books.

The fourth edition generalized the game. It lays out rules for being just about anything, not just a humanoid. It gives rules for constructing your own super powers (though it wasn't entirely clear that this is what it does until Powers came out). Cinematic options are given much more attention, and non-combat activities gain ground (e.g., in the third edition, the equipment chapter goes pretty much straight into armor; in the fourth edition, it lays a groundwork for cost of living, legality class, and general goods before it goes into weapons).

With generalization comes complexity. Third edition's Toughness DR1 or DR2, which simply means your skin is tough, is now expanded to fourth edition's more general Damage Resistance. You can take it in as many levels as your GM will allow. You can use it to turn damage into character points (Absorption), it can be a Force Field, it can have an armor divisor (Hardened), and it can reflect damage (Reflection). It can be Ablative, it can prevent you from wearing armor (Can't Wear Armor), it can protect only from one direction (Directional), it can ineffective against blunt trauma (Flexible), it can be limited to certain damage types (Limited), it can be limited to certain hit locations (Partial), its ablativeness can be partial (Semi-Ablative), and it can leave you vulnerable to poisonous scratches and the like (Tough Skin). It can be taken in multiple layers.

If you want to make the fourth edition more manageable, take away the complexity due to generalization. Write up whatever advantages exist in your campaign, in a format easier for you to digest than what's in the book. You'll have to do this work yourself, though: I don't think SJG will be making "De-generalized GURPS for Realistic Humanoids" anytime soon. It's a "Basic Set" not in that it requires "basic" understanding, but in that it's the core of the game, and all other rules build off of it.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
And I also think there are a lot of gamers that are turned off by the idea of spending $85 on two big dense books, just to ignore the 90% you aren't going to use.
D&D also asks you to spend $90 on two big books just to play. Sure, you'll probably be using a lot of those books, but all you can ever play with them is D&D.

Quote:
I think an inexpensive "pocket edition", that gives a taste of the rules, but then points the way to Basic Set for the full enchilada... or to DFRPG for a worked example, could do a lot to get new folks into GURPS.
What would you cut out? What would you put into a cut-down product to try to drive interest in GURPS? Anything you did would have to be a narrow-focus book, which would require multiple books to get decent penetration into the market.

Additional boxed sets, in the vein of DFRPG is a good start, in general. But, beyond that, I think a "pocket edition" would be too specific to actually be much help.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
If you want to make the fourth edition more manageable, take away the complexity due to generalization. Write up whatever advantages exist in your campaign, in a format easier for you to digest than what's in the book. You'll have to do this work yourself, though: I don't think SJG will be making "De-generalized GURPS for Realistic Humanoids" anytime soon. It's a "Basic Set" not in that it requires "basic" understanding, but in that it's the core of the game, and all other rules build off of it.
On the other tentacle, this could be an interesting book.

A book that explains how to prepare and constrain your campaign. Both to help you focus your expectations and assist the GM in preparing to tell their story. Advice on the many options GURPS presents, what their intention was, and suggestions for using or not using them.
Closed Thread

Tags
boxed sets